4 stroke snowmobile engines

Discussion in 'General Auto Conversion Discussion' started by Holden, Aug 19, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1

Holden

Holden

Holden

Banned

Does anybody know about 4 stroke snowmobile engines? Most snowmobiles use 2 stroke Rotax engines similar to the 582.

Any thoughts on 2 piston 4 stroke snowmobile engines for airplanes? Has anybody converted one for airplane use?

Holden

2. Aug 19, 2014 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Moderator Note: Moved this into the General Auto Conversion Discussion section. This isn't actually an "auto" conversion, I know, but this is a better fit for the topic, and I think you'll get better results here. Expiring one-week redirect left in the original location.

3. Aug 20, 2014 #3

haiqu

haiqu

haiqu

Evidently the 670cc engine advertised by Rick's Rotax on Barnstormers is a snowmobile engine. Supposed to be quite good cf the 582cc.

4. Aug 20, 2014 #4

raven-rotor

raven-rotor

raven-rotor

Holden

I have some very positive experience with the 4-Stroke 660cc Arctic Cat Turbo touring sled engine in aircraft. Our company converted one a number of years ago that is flying in a Zenith® 701. Engine is actually a production version of Suzuki®'s 660cc Kei car automobile engine from Japan. It is rated at 120HP at 7500 RPM. This little guy will even out run the top of the line Rotax® 914 115HP turbo and is the same weight when converted. Proven power at a fraction of the industry leaders price point.

We did a custom one-off redrive kit for it, but there were just not enough production snowmobile engines available to justify going into production. I still have a low time engine with only 276 miles on it and the parts to adapt a Rotax® C-gearbox to it that was intended for my personal gyrocopter project. I will be putting that up for sale soon now that we are going to our new Honda® Fit engine (which is heavier, but more readily available for a high volume production run). Contact my by phone for more details if you are interested.

Let me know if you are interested in any more tech details on the Suzuki® as well. The sled engines are a peek into the future of lightweight alternative power as snowmobiles are also handicapped by too much weight on the nose. Take a look at the new 3 cylinder Rotax® 1200cc 120HP snowmobile engine online to see what I mean.

Jeron Smith
    Raven ReDrives Inc.
    303-440-6234

5. Aug 20, 2014 #5

revkev6

revkev6

revkev6

that is generally a problem with snowmobiles. they have a low volume and change engines very quickly. arctic cat was making an 1100cc 2 cylinder inline turbo 4 stroke that made 177hp which I always wondered about as a conversion!

6. Aug 20, 2014 #6

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Pretty sure the 670 is a two stroke.