4 seat Bearhawk wing kit

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Pops, Dec 31, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 31, 2019 #1

Pops

Pops

Pops

Scratch built wing,flaps, ailerons, kit for the 4 seat Bearhawk. Ribs made for the wings, flaps and ailerons, spar webs made with all the material for the spars, all 4130 hardware, pulleys, wing struts with machined ends. Rivets and rivet gun. All wing skins. No fiberglass wing tips. Price $2500. Located at airport 2WV3. Phone # 304-610-4675

2. Dec 31, 2019 #2

atcws

atcws

atcws

is it the A or B model wing?

3. Dec 31, 2019 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

The ribs are the A model.

4. Dec 31, 2019 #4

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Please educate me. What's the difference in the A vs B wing?

5. Jan 1, 2020 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

Different airfoil , On the B model, Bob Barrows changed the airfoil over to the same airfoil ( Riblett GA30-4135) he was using on the Bearhawk Patrol. The A model Bearhawk uses a 4412 airfoil and a flat stab. On the B model, Bob also changed the stab to a airfoil shape for more elevator control at low speed. With the airfoil shape of the stab, the stab is set with a little less incidence and creating less drag. Reported a top speed increase of about 3 mph.
    I have flown Bob's A model prototype and its a far better airplane than most pilots. Most pilots could not tell the difference between the 2 difference models. A few pounds in the EW of the aircraft would make more difference. Bob's A model prototype had an EW of 1195 lbs, he called it 1200 lbs with the Lyc-360 parallel valve engine but using the angle valve cylinders for better cooling at slow, high power work. The lightest weigh A model that I know of was built by a friend of mine in WY with an EW of 1235.lbs. A lot of the scratch and kit builders are installing Lyc-540 engines, constant speed props and all the bells and whistles, heavy upholstery, etc and having a EW of 1500+ pounds. Bearhawk has a 2500 lb GW but with a 2700 lb landing weight or on floats.

Bob builds custom engines for people. He designed the Bearhawk to haul engines in the rear seat area to deliver to customers .

Flying with Bob in the A model, he had a little power in and hanging on the prop with the airspeed on ZERO and doing shallow turns and not loosing altitude .

6. Jan 1, 2020 #6

TFF

TFF

TFF

That’s a steal.

7. Jan 1, 2020 #7

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

It is. If I wasn't buried in airplane projects...

8. Jan 23, 2020 #8

jsuhre

jsuhre

jsuhre

Well, I've spoken to Dallas, and confirmed with Pops this is the same Kit. I'll be picking up this kit on 2/1 and starting my Bearhawk build and adventure! Super excited and sounds like I'll have a good head start.

VP1 and BoKu like this.
  9. Jan 23, 2020 #9

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Pops said
    "I have flown Bob's A model prototype and its a far better airplane than most pilots...."

If you are still in contact with Bob, would you be able to share how his recuperation is going? Did he recover completely, and is he working on some new magic plane to enthrall us?

10. Jan 23, 2020 #10

Pops

Pops

Pops

Last I heard Bob had another operation and can't put weight on the one leg but is working on the Bearhawk UL as little with a motorized knee scooter.
    I know what it like, you have to do something to keep from going nuts :)

11. Jan 23, 2020 #11

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Boy, do I know that feeling! It's been a challenging last three years. Lots of Hospital stays. And just when I was feeling better--after ending Radiation treatment a few weeks ago--the night before last, I borrowed the youngest son's Harley to attend a free welding class the local Adult Ed puts on. I was taking the class to brush up my oxy acetylene skills. Hey, free gas and steel to practice on, right? Came home in the rain, and the front brake hydraulics failed as I was entering a corner. Lost it at 60 and bounced off the road into the ditch. I flew 40' 'cause the bike stopped in the ditch and I didn't. Smacked around like a rag doll. THANK GOD for protective gear!!! The second bounce tore the helmet from my head, but I landed on my butt on the third and final touchdown. Separated shoulder, and bruising, and pretty significant neck pain. I can't sit up or get out of bed unassisted. This list helps so much when fighting illness, disease, or accident.

What do you know about Bob's UL project? Sounds intriguing. Bob does traditional aircraft so well! Would it be an aluminum wing Patrol Mini? Salivating at the thought! The Welding class is in preparation for SOME kind of UL. I can weld ok, and have Tig, Mig, and Oxy at home, but it takes ME five to ten hours of Tig or Oxy time to get really proficient if I haven't done much in the last few years.

Thanks for the update Pops--looking forward to your first flight. I really like the looks of your lastest. It reminds me of a big boy's BD6. It has the look of the efficiency of the BD6, but softened with a bit of wooden nostalgia!

Pops likes this.
  12. Jan 23, 2020 #12

Pops

Pops

Pops

I love riding bikes, but quit. Hope you get well quick and get on with life. I have had my left leg in a cast for 6 months at a time, 2 times with metal and bone grafts and almost lost my right arm , with a lot of metal and bone grafts, also a lot other bones broken, so I understand what its like. Bob is a couple years younger than me and at his age, it just takes longer to heal.
    Bob's new design is a UL with steel tube fuselage and alum wings covered with fabric. Looking forward to seeing the finished airplane.

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  13. Jan 24, 2020 #13

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Amen.

BJC

Dillpickle likes this.
  14. Jan 24, 2020 #14

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Thanks, nice to have some examples to gun for, lol. But you ol' guys are tougher than us early baby boomers.
    And are there any pictures of this UL? I own his Patrol and LSA plans, along with airbike and legal eagle plans. His aircraft are outstanding! I'd buy his Ul plans just to read them. Any pictures available? His first few airplanes just showed up at shows built. The LSA was leaked by people who loved the concept. The little I've seen of Bob on video shows him not tooting his own horn, just explaining why he does his planes HIS way. I love that he hand-props. I haven't had a starter battery in the Cessna in 15 years! Do you really WANT to fly a plane that won't start with the flick of the wrist?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  15. Jan 24, 2020 #15

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

16. Jan 24, 2020 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

Bob is a master for building light.

17. Feb 1, 2020 #17

Pops

Pops

Pops

Wing kit sold and picked up today. Very nice person and enjoyed the visit.

Matt D Murdoch likes this.
  18. Feb 2, 2020 #18

jsuhre

jsuhre

jsuhre

I made it home safely this evening and got everything offloaded. I had a great time hanging out and wish I could have stayed longer. Looking forward to starting the build!

19. Feb 2, 2020 #19

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yep, great day. Wish you could have stayed longer. You know when I live. Stop by anytime. Dallas is a great guy, been friends since I don't really remember.
    Glad you made it home safely.

jsuhre likes this.