4 Place wood aircraft

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by akbuilder, Dec 15, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 15, 2006 #1

akbuilder

akbuilder

akbuilder

I am looking to see if anyone knows of any other 4 place wood plane other then the Falconar Maranda? I am lookig for a 4 place high wing utility type that can go on floats, wheels and skis. I have not had any luck finding anything.:confused::(

Could a wooden plane be built that looks similar to a cessna type with the rounded corners by laminating thin sheets to make the bend over a plywood frame structure with stringers?? Or would this end up being to heavy a structure?

Can a wood frame structure be built and coverd with glass to match that look? I suppose that I would have to get something like that analyzed by engineer. I would like a proven design that I can copy but power with something like the eggenfellner subaru.

Can the cessna design be copied in wood framing and glass outer skin?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. Dec 16, 2006 #2

Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

The Spencer AirCar is a 4-place wood SeaBee based design, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

There was a high wing 4-place in the late 90's, the Explorer Aviation 'Ellipse', listed as wood/fabric/tubing. I don't much about it.

Paul

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #3

akbuilder

akbuilder

akbuilder

I looked at that one, it and its big sister are more like flying motorhomes. Looks like a nice way to travel though.

4. Dec 19, 2006 #4

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

With a bit of clever design and thought wood can be formed as you suggest and the end result can be difficult to distinquish from a composite airframe.

Although not the type of aeroplane you're looking for, here's an example of what can be done in wood - www.seqair.com

The downside is the weight.

The lightest airframe is normally aluminium, followed by composite and/or wood. I say "and/or" because it can go either way - composite can get very heavy if due attention isn't paid to technique.

It's also possible to mix and match wood with composite - here's a photo of my ailerons after I removed the ply skin and covered them with carbon. The ply on the relatively flat areas on the top of the ailerons and flaps distorted unacceptably.

The carbon was laid up on glass to produce what was effectively a piece of "carbon" ply, then bonded onto the aileron structure. You can see an offcut of it in the photo, lying on the wing.

Attached Files:

5. Dec 19, 2006 #5

Raptor

Raptor

Raptor

Looking through a '77 Jane's (Homebuilts) and found the Siegrist RSI ISLE.
    4-place high wing w/0-360
    Plywood covered wood wing, tube fuselage, with wood stringers, mixture of metal & composite covering.
    Search continues.....

Paul

6. Jan 15, 2007 #6

akbuilder

akbuilder

akbuilder

Raptor I cannot find that design that you posted. what site was it posted at?

7. Jan 16, 2007 #7

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

For more info on the Ilse design look in the Sept. 72 issue of Sport Aviation. There is an article about it. The author alos wrote an article about losing the tip of his prop in a later Sport Aviation.

8. Jan 18, 2007 #8

akbuilder

akbuilder

akbuilder

Well no wood plane for me yet, I'm switchng to tube and fabric as I will be starting a build soon. It was a tough choice but I bought the plans for the Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2.