3rd Class Medical Reform still alive...

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by dcstrng, Aug 1, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 1, 2014 #1

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

See all at: Medical reform moves forward - AOPA

The FAA has sent a proposal to reform the third class medical certification process to the Department of Transportation for review, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta announced July 31 at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Huerta would not discuss details of the proposed rule, but said the FAA has heard the general aviation community “loud and clear” on the need for reform. The proposed rulemaking must be vetted by both the Department of Transportation and the White House Office of Management and Budget before it can be opened for public comment sometime in the fall.

“The easy thing would be for us to say ‘no,’ but the objective is to get to ‘yes,’” Huerta said...

Topaz likes this.
  2. Aug 1, 2014 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Fingers, toes, and limbs crossed. Thanks for the update.

3. Aug 1, 2014 #3

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Anyone know what it is going to be changed to?

4. Aug 1, 2014 #4

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

The goal, I believe, is to eliminate the Third-Class medical requirement for operations in aircraft below a certain weight and performance level. The proposals I've heard about so far would mean operations in many GA singles would no longer require a medical. Very likely there will be a "self-certifying with valid driver's license" requirement, similar to Sport Pilot.

5. Aug 2, 2014 #5

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Hope this is going to reduce the price of LSAs. ;)

6. Aug 2, 2014 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It might. Since they will no longer hold that special niche, demand will shift away from LSA's and drive a price reduction to make them competitive.

Topaz likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2014 #7

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Or worse, kill the segment.

8. Aug 2, 2014 #8

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Been thinking about this last night - when I should have been sleeping. It might have just the opposite effect, but I'm just guessing/speculating. LSA is still a cheaper and quicker way to get a plane into production. What happens if there are S-LSA built and sold that can then be converted to E-LSA' which removes some of the restrictions that apply only to S-LSA's, such as IFR flight and owner maintenance? This would provide a way to get a flying plane with less restrictions than a S-LSA that is legally built by a company rather than via the 51% rule.

Since some of the restrictions on LSA flight follow the pilot rather than the plane by removing the class 3 medical requirement the demand for LSA's might actually go up since they can now be used with less restrictions? Add in the fact that some will "bend" the rules by legally modifying the planes with different props, and fairings that just happen to make the planes faster - or maybe just disconnecting the factory's installed speed limit device if so fitted ;) ;) and we have the same situation that existed with the old "fat" ultralights.

9. Aug 2, 2014 #9

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

That depends on what the existing market is for LSA. I heard that most people buying LSAs are existing aircraft owners. If that's the case, the market for LSA will just be NEW aircraft owners and the problem of that is pilots who can afford new airplanes will probably hold PPLs instead of sports license. Needless to say. The third class medical reform has nothing to do with helping the GA industry. If that's what they want, they should've relax the limitation of Part 103. Increase speed/weight/range restrictions.

That's true. I only see new aircraft owners will be doing this.

10. Aug 3, 2014 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

I see the price of used airplanes going up. All the planes you see where the owners sell because they lost their medicals will not go on the market. Pool of available airplanes to buy will go down, so price has to go up. New LSA planes will be the loosers; much more capable airplanes will be useable to the market leaving LSA in the dust.

11. Aug 3, 2014 #11

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

I'd guess this will be the affect for at least the first 2-3 years until the market adjusts (again); and then I can just go find a nice Piper Colt which was all I really wanted in the first place...

12. Aug 3, 2014 #12

Pops

Pops

Pops

Will never happen. It go's against the all over game plan. Dan

13. Aug 4, 2014 #13

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Normally I'd agree with you on this, Dan, but there seems to be some real political momentum behind this. I see it as an extension of when they removed the requirement for a prostate/pelvic exam from the third class medical examination. People started asking what that was actually doing to increase aviation safety, and nobody could show any data that it did. With the Sport Pilot self-certifying "medical" showing no increase in accident rate, people are starting to ask what the overall third-class medical requirement is doing to increase aviation safety and, of course, the FAA has exactly zero data to show that it does. We've got some allies in Congress asking the same questions, and getting the same lack of answers. We may actually get this one.

The cynic in me thinks that this is the entire reason the EAA and AOPA got behind Sport Pilot in the first place and, honestly, I kinda hope that's true. If we can get the third-class medical requirement dropped and some genuine FAR 23 reform enacted, it doesn't matter if LSA dies - we'll have something far better available.

N8053H, gtae07, dcstrng and 2 others like this.
  14. Aug 4, 2014 #14

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

The LSA as a “holding ground” for PPL folks who didn’t want the semi-annual medical circus could probably evaporate, assuming this 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-Closs effort prevails; however, LSA may still remain as a lower-hour, lower-training-requirement transition area… Maybe it’s my imagination, but there seems to be a modest rebirth of the general genre of aircraft once habited by the first iterations of the Avid/Kfox/CH701UL (those two-place birds that are a jump above the genuine 103 craft) and at least for the homebuilt market (this is the homebuilt forum, right) these clearly fit… and perhaps will help to attract new fliers… then, at their leisure they can transition to full PPL and beyond…

I love the slick, go-fast kits, 4-6 place factory birds, etc., but that is also the Achilles heel of GA – if the threshold requirements amount to needing to drop six-figures-plus just to enjoy it (sometims is seems, just to hava socially acceptable instrument panel...), many young families will (have to) look elsewhere to use their disposable income (assuming there is any…). If this ever comes about, I think there could remain a role for LSA if used creatively, shrewdly…

Topaz and bmcj like this.
  15. Aug 4, 2014 #15

Apollo

Apollo

Apollo

If 3rd class medical reform does occur, I wonder how this will be reciprocated in other countries? Suppose I live/fly in the US and want to fly to Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas? Will I now need to add "get medical" to my list of preparations for flying into those countries? Or will other countries eventually follow the US lead? That will be interesting to watch.

16. Aug 4, 2014 #16

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I believe SP will always be alive and well as will EAB single seat. You will have people like me that any other type of flying is above their pay grade. I will always fly what I do for this reason. I can only afford what I can afford.

I am sure others are in my same shoe's.

Tony

17. Aug 4, 2014 #17

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

If SPs cannot afford to get to PPL, they can't afford the current price of the LSA either.

N8053H likes this.
  18. Aug 4, 2014 #18

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

My condition inspections cost around 300 bucks. The airpark owner spends 5x that and sometimes more on his GA airplane. Not to mention the airplane its self. Not to many flying GA airplanes can be purchased for 5 grand.

Its not about the Certificate but the airplanes you are right.

EAB will always be my bird of choice. Anything else is a fools dream for me. I am no fool. Its the man/woman who tries and fly outside his or her pay grade who do not fly long. I will not be flying long but it will not be because of flying outside my pay grade.

Tony

P.S. I should say its not about the 3rd class medical and if they drop it or not. In my case and I am sure others as well, I will always fly SP EAB. Nothing will change if they do away with this. But I would still like to see it go like everyone else for the sake of aviation.

19. Aug 5, 2014 #19

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

But they can save money on the training and then save money on the cheaper rental.

20. Aug 5, 2014 #20

Aviator168

Aviator168

Aviator168

Rentals can't support an industry as the usage of the planes are too efficient.