3rd Arduino Instrument - Cheap GPS NAV

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Pilotgil, Jan 5, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 5, 2018 #1

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

My 3rd Arduino Instrument is going to be "Cheapy GPS Nav". I decided since in this airplane I fly to just a few airports in the general area, I really do not need a database which covers airports a 1000 miles away. So I will make a limited database and allow for a few of the entries to be a "user" latitude and longitude in case I decide to go some place that is not in the database. With the Arduino, you have to be careful because the language is basically "C" and the use of libraries eats up memory fast (the cost of high level languages). The GPS module is on the back side of the assembly and an external antenna will be used. Maybe two or three weeks to finish.

IMG_6350.jpg

2. Jan 5, 2018 #2

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Please keep us posted! Are you publishing or sharing your hardware or software anywhere?

3. Jan 5, 2018 #3

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I haven't. But maybe. There doesn't seem to be much interest and with so many wanting an "EFIS" instead of individual instruments, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

4. Jan 5, 2018 #4

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You might want to take a look at MicroPython (PyBoards). 32 bit and faster. They come with a micro SD card slot for added memory. The Arduino software now supports some of the ARM chips so you can use either MicroPython or c++. Not all of the C++ libraries are fully interchangeable but they are easily modified.

5. Jan 6, 2018 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

It's impressive. I would like to find a site that I could emulate the sensor and display drive. I'm a good copycat.You should at least look into getting your info out for either fun or profit. An engine monitor similar to the certified ones would be nice. Monitoring each of four cylinders cht and egt would be a great kit.

6. Jan 6, 2018 #6

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

You know what they say in avaition: "if you want to make a million dollars, start with two million"...:depressed

I have already did a 4 cylinder EGT/CHT system (another project for a O-200) and most recently a 2-cylinder EGT System (same hardware interface for the thermocouples) with RPM, Water Pressure, Water Temperature, Amps, Volts, Hourmeter all on a single display; a kit would be difficult because of the surface mounted components but a snap-together (plug everything together with little or no soldering) could be possible.

I do make an FAA-approved (Non-Transport Category Aircraft Only) Clock/Flight Timer, Approach Timer, Date, G-meter but sell just a few of them to pilot friends. I don't advertise. I just do this for "fun".

If someone is interested in putting one together (an engine related instrument not the clock), I may consider it. I don't really want to make a business.

7. Jan 6, 2018 #7

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I really like the PIC series and have a ton of experince with them (as well as all the development tools), so complex embedded projects I try to stick with PIC. The Arduino was just a "see what it could do" design. Since I had all the hardware designs for the sensors already proven, it was an easy test.

8. Jun 18, 2019 #8

timmyjane

timmyjane

timmyjane

http://experimentalavionics.com/

Oleg has probably designed what you're looking for.

Hephaestus likes this.