3D printer ...near disaster

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by FritzW, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 9, 2019 #1

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

EDIT: just a reminder that any power tool can bite you if your not careful.

After a couple of years and many hundred of hours of print time the hot end heater and thermistor on the hot end of my low budget printer came loose and started flailing around on the print bed. And with the thermistor flopping around in relatively cool air it kept telling the heater to get hotter. ...the perfect thermal runaway scenario.

Of course I wasn't home to keep an eye on it at the time (stupid move, I know better now). Fortunately my wife came home early and smelled the smoke and shut it down before things got worse.

I just finished the post-mortem on the printer and I'm starting the long list of improvements I'm going to make on the next one.

The silver lining to the whole mess is it scared my wife just enough to free up some substantial budget for my next printer build. ;)

The fuzzy gunk must of been the last of the filament to come out while the heater was working loose. You can see the burnt areas and smoke stains on the part. Things could have been much worse.
    20190909_131428_resized.jpg

Pops and proppastie like this.
  2. Sep 9, 2019 #2

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

if that was not an aircraft part you get a demerit

bmcj likes this.
  3. Sep 9, 2019 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It may not be an airplane part but it can be an accessory....used to scare rabbits, coyotes and antelope off the runway.:rolleyes:

4. Sep 9, 2019 #4

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

200 hours of print time and this is the first f**k up?

You are a zen master!!

BTW nice air cooling manifold and naked lady adornment.

5. Sep 10, 2019 #5

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

This sure wasn't my first FU :(, it wasn't even my most dramatic one. It was just the first one where I was able to achieve sustained combustion of a toxic material :eek:

>>>

And yes, it was an airplane part so no demerits. It's a part for the ground attack variant of the Ranger.

6. Sep 10, 2019 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You need to print yourself a better printer.

mcrae0104, AdrianS and FritzW like this.
  7. Sep 10, 2019 #7

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I prefer to have things that could burn, somewhere that they can burn...

If that's an aircraft paintgun part, start a thread! Some of us would be be quite interested. It's the feed that eludes me.

8. Sep 10, 2019 #8

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I'll have to patch up 'ol Fireball enough to print enough parts to build a new one. The new is going to have a beefy 80/20 frame though.

bmcj likes this.
  9. Sep 10, 2019 #9

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

So you're going to reflash a new firmware with the thermal runaway protection turned on right?

There's no reason for this to have happened.

Second get a genuine e3d hotend. Clone's loose the heater cartridge, I've never seen it from a genuine e3d...

ScaleBirdsScott likes this.
  10. Sep 10, 2019 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

Just call it a Cheese Wiz sculpture. Someone will give you $100 if it’s art.

akwrencher likes this.
  11. Sep 10, 2019 #11

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

I happen to be one of the few who have real world experience in how to feed paintguns without a hopper. This print could probably take my ZetaMag: https://www.starkpursuit.com/store/zetamag without too much trouble.

As far as printers catching fire, I have talked to more than one person who has had some kind of fire. Usually minor thankfully, so far. It's another reason I've mostly given up on home printing as a regular operation and save it for only special tasks.

Of course cutting some cheap plywood on the CNC router the other day also nearly caused a fire. And in this case it goes from going along fine to heavy smoke in the time it takes to pick a new song on Spotify (or about 6-10 seconds) The cause of that was the cheap plywood was so flimsy that in an area of the cut the wood was essentially unsupported rubber and was bouncing up and down, to the point it rode up above the cutting edge of my router bit and lodged against the collet, preventing the machine from moving. And the cheap plywood against the 12,500 rpm spindle collet and shank quickly smoked the bit, and filled all the gaps in the collet with sticky wood gum and filled the room with gnarly gross smoke. There were definite embers and other elements underneath the wood visible once I hit the e-stop and looked over.

The real danger is that if that gets out of hand, it can go into a dust collector and currently my dust collector is not full, but it's not empty, so there's some chance of a very hot piece of dust or live embers getting up through the suction hose and into the collection bag. Either hot material or some kind of static discharge is likely how poor Wiebe's shop got smoked, so best avoid any of that.

So, always good to keep the things that could burn where they can, but paradoxically many things that can burn also don't like to be wet.

12. Sep 10, 2019 #12

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Clones don't loose their heater cartridge any more than E3D's that's just anti-clone propaganda. It's all in how it's setup. If for no other reason I buy clones to protest E3D gouging it's customers. I definitely did NOT drink the "genuine E3D" Koolaid.

Mine fell out because I took the cable management apart to work on the hot end and never got around to putting it back on.

13. Sep 10, 2019 #13

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

The thing that was being printed in post #1 isn't really a paint gun. Like Hot Wings spotted, it's a JT Vanguard lower reciever. It's actually my 6th. generation of one.

That's the beauty of 3D printing. You can print something, play with it for a while and find out what changes you want to make and print another one. I love it when two or three hobbies crossover :)

14. Sep 10, 2019 #14

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

So you're saying this "runaway" wasn't a clever plan to effect just this outcome? That's very convenient that the wife was home to find this incident. :cool:

FritzW and gtae07 like this.
  15. Sep 10, 2019 #15

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

I used to be pro clone... I did. I've never had a heater cartridge fall out of the genuine hotend. I've had repeated issues with the clones. (Not all clones are bad but some really are). But the genuine holds the heater cartridge tightly. You'll always need Mechanical help to install or remove - the clones they slide right in and out unencumbered.

I have 6 genuine v6 and 2 genuine Titan aeros. The difference between them and the clones they replaced is amazing. Massive improvement in quality the day I switched.

But you really need to reflash and get the thermal runaway features on the hotend ;) my .02

16. Sep 11, 2019 #16

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

If I'm too lazy to put a zip tie back on to prevent the cartridge from falling out I sure wasn't going to take it down to flash Merlin and go through the recalibration dance ;) Actually I bought a RAMBo board (kit) for it months ago I've just been waiting for a chance to install it. Now's probably a pretty good time <lol>

17. Sep 11, 2019 #17

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

I had one chinesium hot end break at the .... Throat (?) Without thermal runaway luckily I was 10' away as it was dragging through the print and would likely have started a fire (printing PLA at 235° in vase mode -no cooling trying to get water tight).

That's when I rechecked all my printers had thermal runaway protection installed.

Just not worth the fire risk.

Oh and loose heater cartridges screw up your PID... Which makes for some wierd walls.

18. Sep 12, 2019 #18

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I had another think. I have a cunning plan. But first, I need to build an aeroplane.

19. Sep 13, 2019 #19

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Well if it's building some AK-47s I'm a step ahead of ya :p

But yeah lots of planes to ashemble

20. Sep 13, 2019 #20

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Oh no, this is for aircraft paintball guns. For strafing! o_O

akwrencher likes this.