• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

3D printed fuselage exterior surface, reinforced with CF inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Dears,
i do not know if that topic has been touched before, and i would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.
My apologies as well if this is OT.
I'm here talking about a tailless glider project, but at the moment, i'm concentrating on a RC scale version.
I'm on my way to finalize the design and start building a tailless glider. The concept is very similar to the AK-X, and illustrated in the attached picture.
dream2c.jpg
I wanted to build a fuselage mold, but since this is just the first design iteration, i would like to avoid spending lot of money into it. This project may require several mods, before it reaches maturity.
Brainstorming on alternative solutions, i thought about:
-3D printing 2 halves of the fuselage, with the exact external shape i want. Use ABS or PLA as material, with the lowest possible thickness allowed by the 3D printer.
-reinforcing the 2 plastic halves, by putting some GF/CF layears INside the two fuselage halves.
-glueing together the 2 halves, as you normally do with the standard molding process
-finishing the exterior plastic surface by sanding and spray painting.

This would allow me to optimize the production time and cost.
What do you think about that method?

Any comment would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Domenico

Back