39th Western Workshop of the Experimental Soaring Association, div. SSA

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mm4440

Hi All interested in the future of affordable soaring are invited:

39th Annual Experimental Soaring Association Western Workshop - 2019

Friday afternoon August 30-Monday September 2, 2019 (Labor Day Weekend)

Mountain Valley Airport (L94), Tehachapi, California

NOTES:

• Lectures in Byard Hangar
  • Registration and merchandise in the Armstrong Hangar.
  • Registration: $10/day or $20/both days. Students free, speakers free. Register on site, no preregistration needed
  • For Potluck BBQs – bring meat and drink for yourself plus something to share. Utensils, plates, cups, etc provided.
  • For Saturday night auction – donations of items gratefully accepted – clean out your workshop and bring that white elephant, which might be someone else’s treasure…

SCHEDULE – subject to change

FRIDAY August 30
5:30PM - Potluck BBQ at the Byard Hangar (See notes above)

SATURDAY August 31

8:30 – 9:20 AM – Jeff Byard – he will call me with the title

9:30-10:20 – Neal Pfeiffer – need title – esoaring.com

Come experience wonderful Tehachapi and Mountain Valley Airport!

mm4440

mm4440

SUNDAY September 1
8:30 – 9:20 AM – Phil Barnes – Aircraft Energy Gain from an Atmosphere in Motion – pelicanag@aol.com

9:30 – 11:30 – Sailplane Building in the 21st Century – Panel – Bowers, Rozansky, Kuykendall, Rihn, Armstrong and Riley

11:30 – 1PM – LUNCH

1-1:50 – ESA Business Meeting

2-2:50 – Andrew Angellotti – need title, will be on flight test instrumentation – Dan will contact

3-3:50 –

4-5 –

5:30PM – Potluck BBQ Dinner – Byard Hangar (see notes above)

6:45PM – ESA Wrap-Up and Thanks

7:00PM – Keynote Speaker – Al Bowers – Apollo 11

MONDAY September 2 - Flying and fun and visiting and cleanup

mm4440

For soaring flights, tows, camping – contact Skylark North at Mountain Valley Airport – 661-822-5267. Mountain Valley RV Park is onsite also – 822-1213.

Workshop questions, lodging questions – contact Janice Armstrong – 661-619-7750 or esoaring.com

Come experience wonderful Tehachapi and Mountain Valley Airport!

mm4440

Sun-afternoon, Murry Rozansky,“Homebuilt Tow Planes, The Silver Bullets to Save Soaring”
Possible new topic?

Victor Bravo

I hope to see as many other HBA participants there as possible. MM4440, I suggest that perhaps you might want to make an announcement Sat. AM that any HBA participants might want to have a group lunch that day together in the Raven's Nest or someplace, so we can possibly put faces and screen names together.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
39th Annual Experimental Soaring Association Western Workshop - 2019

Friday afternoon August 30-Monday September 2, 2019 (Labor Day Weekend)
Dang. Every year, this conflicts with the Kanab canard Fly-In, which even my wife loves. Sheesh....

Minor nit - it's "Paulo" Iscold, not "Paula".

hole in the ground

For those not in the vicinity or continent, is there a webcast or even just copies of presentation slides available?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
For those not in the vicinity or continent, is there a webcast or even just copies of presentation slides available?
There is YouTube video of last years. Hopefully there will be video of this years?

I'm still disappointing that I couldn't go last year. This year I do have the time and money but think it would be better spent, for both me personally and experimental gliding in general, if I stayed home and worked on the AV-36/361.

Still I sometimes give in to personal wants rather than what is logical.............

Riggerrob

Sun-afternoon, Murry Rozansky,“Homebuilt Tow Planes, The Silver Bullets to Save Soaring”
Possible new topic?
—————————————————-
Is he planning a Super Cub clone with a Lycoming IO-720 engine?
Hah!
Hah!

Victor Bravo

The safe bet is that he will be trying to keep alive the valid idea of an LS-X derivative V8 conversion for the existing towplane fleet of Pawnees (and a couple of Call-Airs, and a couple of Ag-Wagons). The Australian glider club(s) did a demonstration project several years ago, replacing the towplane engine with a liquid cooled V8 installation on a restricted certificate for towing. They saved enough money (fuel, maintenance, engine wear) in a fairly short period of time to fund the purchase of a NEW AS-K-21 training gilder.

mm4440

Hi VB and all, the FAA is pretty adamant that non certified engines not be used in certified aircraft so it is E-AB for us. About 20% or more homebuilts would make acceptable glider tugs.
Hi Marc, sorry I missed you in Oshkosh. We have the same problem every year. I think we claimed Labor Day weekend first. If your plane was fast enough you could do both.
V-8 power for an economical true super tug.
Will update shortly.
See you soon,
Murry, pres.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
How does one overcome that bureaucratic hurdle?
§ 91.327 Aircraft having a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category: Operating limitations.

(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category for compensation or hire except -

(1) To tow a glider or an unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with § 91.309 of this chapter; or

(2) To conduct flight training.

Kyle Boatright

§ 91.327 Aircraft having a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category: Operating limitations.

(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category for compensation or hire except -

(1) To tow a glider or an unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with § 91.309 of this chapter; or

(2) To conduct flight training.
Is there a workaround for non-LSA's?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The operating limitations that I have seen prohibit towing of gliders.
Maybe we should be trying to get some special operating limitations crafted for non LSA along with the upcoming/proposed revisions? Even if the limitations restricted the plane to strictly towing and training for towing it would help.

But we also need some inexpensive winch kits. There are plenty of of modern diesel power trains available, that weren't even 10 years ago, that could be used for power.

mm4440

Hi, I believe, not being an FAR expert that the prohibition on E-AB towing is in a sample Operational Limitations not a regulation. There is also the usual wiggle room if you have a reasonable DAR to work with. I have it on good authority that an RV-9 with 160 hp and CS prop is an excellent towplane. And yes the FAA has been favorably disposed to E-ABs towing in the discussions with the EAA, for non-commercial use. A few years ago the FAA stated that a private pilot licence was sufficient to tow and get paid for it. So things are looking up on the regulatory side.

Reactions: BJC