• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

35th anniversary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Fisher

Supporting Member
June 2nd will be our 35 anniversary I met Diann 36 years ago.
I was going to A&P school at Sidney Nebraska at the western end of the state.and home was near Crete Nebraska near the east end of the state. On week ends I would fly my homebuilt back and forth. One Saturday the airport bunch were going to have a fly out to Volskyes Flying "V' for a supper .I was getting my plane ready to go and the Waldowes asked me to ride with them in there nearly new 182 and when I declined Trecka said we will let you fly it! Well I couldn't pass up an offer like that. There were about 12 airplanes in our little formation and some people drove the 50 or so miles. So there were probably 40 or so there and I didn't know all of them. Most of the people were flying farmers so after we ate all of the conversation was the price of pigs and corn. So I was bored but I couldn't leave because I was riding with Waldows. I noticed this little girl sitting in the corner looking about as bored as myself.I asked her to dance we went out on the floor and I asked her what grade she was in. And she said I'm a nurse I'm 21. The dancing didn't go to well we went back to the table and talked until it was time to go. The next day she came out to the airport to take an introductory lesson with my friend the instructor but it was way to windy and they didn't go.
The next weekend was the Chapter 80 EAA picnic at Durands strip just west of North Omaha. I invited her to go with me and she excepted.So I arranged to barrow the Martin family's J3 Cub for the day. This was cool beyond my wildest dreams. The weather was perfect I have my favrate airplane to fly going to the neatest gathering of flying people and this beautiful girl is going with me.
This was the first time she had ever been up. It was 80 deg. we were flying with the door open. She was smiling and laifing .We were flying about 500ft. and we could smell the new cut hay. This is the most memorable flight of my 40 years and 6000 hours of flying.
The picnic was wonderful. I had to get back to Crete so I could fly back to Sidney before dark So we took off from Durands and I headed south west toward Crete about 80 miles away and she pointed west and asked can we go that way so after about 40 miles she started pointing out her family's farms. This is her first flight and she knows exactly where she is.
Well we have two kids three grand kids. With her help we have moved twice. I tried being an airport operator. I have built three big work shops and our dream house and built or rebuilt 67 airplanes. Later I bought that Cub we still have it.

Back