• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2nd class medical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grelly

Hi guys, I have a question for you :)

I have an FAA Pilot Certificate supported by an FAA class 3 medical. This has been a valid combination in the UK for the 30 years I have been flying. However, the CAA has just decided that the rules state that a class 2 medical is required.

I tried looking up the difference between FAA classes 2 and 3 and as far as I can tell, there are three:
1. It costs more
2. The eyesight test requires 20/20, rather than 20/40
3. It only lasts 12 months (and then downgrades to a class 3).

Can anyone confirm? FYI, I am 56 years old if that is relevant.

Before you ask, a Euro class 2 is (as far as I can tell):
1. Whole orders of magnitude more expensive
2. Whole orders of magnitude more thorough
3. Requires an ECG for over 50's (at more cost & time)

Thanks for any help,

Grelly

Back