2nd Arduino-based Instrument Design

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Pilotgil, Dec 23, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 23, 2017 #1

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I decided to build a new Fuel Pressure instrument based on the Arduino platform and this is the result:

A short video showing the display and graphing function:

[video=youtube_share;_uOMDp4NnYE]https://youtu.be/_uOMDp4NnYE[/video]

IMG_6079.jpg

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  2. Dec 24, 2017 #2

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Here's a better video of the graphing function:

[video=youtube_share;AG4917HtUmQ]https://youtu.be/AG4917HtUmQ[/video]

3. Dec 24, 2017 #3

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Here's a better video of the graphing function:

[video=youtube_share;AG4917HtUmQ]https://youtu.be/AG4917HtUmQ[/video]

4. Dec 25, 2017 #4

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Looks good.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  5. Dec 25, 2017 #5

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

What kind of display is that, with round edges?

Now if you could drive several of those displays, and take readings from several sensors, and then display them on multiple displays... with a single Arduino... fuel pressure, airspeed, altitude, cht, egt, tach... you'd have a system

I'd try to maximize the use of as much display area as possible to make the graph as big as possible, and the large number as big as possible.

6. Dec 26, 2017 #6

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

The display is square but the bezel covers the "square" edges. I already did a multi-function instrument with mutilple sensors but it's not based on the Arduino. See picture below. It is based on a PIC 18Fx series microcontroller. The Ardunio instrument is based on the Uno platform and just doesn't have enough memory with the "Sketch" (C) complier and to be able to accomplish all the required tasks. The complier starts complaining early about potential stability problems. Certinally, I could go much farther with the Arduino with multiple sensors but the PIC series is (in my opinion and experience) a much better microcontroller for complex embededded applications. I specifically wanted these one-off instruments to be single or dual functions so I could rapidily prototype ideas and concepts and the Arduino fit that need perfectly.

I may design a mega-compatible (which would be better for complex designs) at some point but I already have the investment in PIC (both hardware and code) for complex designs and the investment for these quick-turn Arduino-based designs. I have all functions (airspeed, VSI, EGT, CHT, RPM, volts, amps, oil pressure/temp, fuel pressure/temp, water pressure/temp, GPS, time, timer, G, etc.) and designed and flying. Like anything in engineering, there are tradeoffs and compromises and plenty of room for preferences.

Engine (2).jpg

7. Jan 5, 2018 #7

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

This project is complete! While the instrument is labeled "FUEL PRESSURE" it can be changed to any type of pressure and a range from 0-5 PSI up to 0-300 PSI. On to the next.

IMG_6347.jpg

8. Jan 5, 2018 #8

narfi

narfi

narfi

If you don't mind, not counting your time in programming, what is the cost breakdown of just the hardware?

9. Jan 5, 2018 #9

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

Pilotgil

I'm not sure, I never worried about keeping track. But it's not just programming, it's also the hardware and mechanical engineering which was at least as time consuming as the coding. Just the Solidworks 3D modeling took dozens of hours to make sure everything fit. There's also all the NRE and setup costs (like CNC) and low volume machine work will eat you alive. For example, I had to machine 100 faceplates because no one wanted to touch it otherwise. I did try 3D printing the faceplate and it looked awful.