• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2a042 (4-stroke OHV opposed twin - 42ci approx 25hp) for sale

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill Ladd

I still have this 2a042 engine, stripped of it's generator paraphernalia, ready to experiment with. Doesn't appear to ever have been in service and hasn't run since it was mothballed and crated by US Army in 1997. I'll send all the paperwork with it. Just the engine is for sale, not the pulleys/belts seen in the picture. Selling to finance Briggs oppy twin project. $200 plus shipping.20130913_155421.jpg

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

I still have this 2a042 engine, stripped of it's generator paraphernalia, ready to experiment with. Doesn't appear to ever have been in service and hasn't run since it was mothballed and crated by US Army in 1997. I'll send all the paperwork with it.

Just the engine is for sale, not the pulleys/belts seen in the picture.

Selling to finance Briggs oppy twin project.

$200 plus shipping.View attachment 32148
I'm guessing that's a typo on the displacement, pretty impressive specific output...

Bill Ladd

You really can't tell by the picture, but I have a supercharger off a Wright Whirlwind attached to the back. That's how I get awesome power out of wee displacement.

But seriously folks, yes it's 42ci.

Last edited:

Bill Ladd

As to the weight, this mill is about 76lbs. as you see it. I know with judicious use of a milling machine and a die grinder, along with further removal of unneeded parts - perhaps fabricating a new oilpan - one might be able to see low 70lbs. Snatch off the magneto and rig up a lightweight electronic ignition and perhaps you'd get to the mid-sixties.

This thing was built for heavy-duty field use. Even though it's cast aluminum, it's built thick.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Look at these links. Friend of mine. He has built 4 or 5 Mini-Max's. Him and an old WW-2 fighter pilot each flys a Mini-Max at airshows and does a formation routine. He had over a thousand hrs on this airplane with a 1/2 VW and then put the Cont on it and has several hundred hours on it. Its not a stock Mini-Max airframe.
Mini-Max Wingover part 1 - YouTube
Mini-Max WingOver part 3 - YouTube

lake_harley

Pops....I talked with Kevin on a couple occasions, who's MiniMAX is in the videos. I'm building a MiniMAX and was considering a 2A042. I decided to take the "simple" route and go with the 277 Rotax that's in the plans, but considering all of the grief I've had trying to get a complete, properly set up 277 I now wish I had taken the plunge and built the MiniMAX for the 2A042 I owned for a few years. I bought a prop for the '042 from Kevin.

I'd still like to build a Hummel Ultracruiser and use the '042 I have.

$200 is a bargain!

Lynn

Pops

Log Member
Pops....I talked with Kevin on a couple occasions, who's MiniMAX is in the videos. I'm building a MiniMAX and was considering a 2A042. I decided to take the "simple" route and go with the 277 Rotax that's in the plans, but considering all of the grief I've had trying to get a complete, properly set up 277 I now wish I had taken the plunge and built the MiniMAX for the 2A042 I owned for a few years. I bought a prop for the '042 from Kevin.

I'd still like to build a Hummel Ultracruiser and use the '042 I have.

$200 is a bargain!

Lynn
Kevin is an old friend of mine. Great guy. His props work great. He is a sharp dude. I live about 50 miles north of him and I told him that anytime that he fly's up to my field, I will fill his fuel tank up for free. Usually 1.5 gal or so. ( I'm a big spender) :)
$200 is a give away price, can't understand why someone don't jump on it with 2 feet.
Dan

Aerowerx

I have a 4a084 that I am going to use. The 2a042 is essentially half of a 4a084.

They were built by Teledyne Continental. The 4a084 was originally designed as an aircraft (drone) engine towards the end of WW2, but was instead used as a ground power unit until the military went to all diesel.

Why I picked the 4a084 (besides a good price) was that nothing has to be done to the internals to make it an airplane engine. It already is! I would guess that the 2a042 is the same. Some people fly it as-is (after removing unnecessary weight, of course). The only (succesful) changes I have heard of is EFI, electronic ignition, etc.---all "external".

TrumanO

I have six of the 2a042 engines, I bought them a few years ago to explore a Mini-Max project with but haven't had the time to build he over. The idea that got me stared on this was out of WV I think and he had changed the carb and prop pitch to make it move. For the beginner I was impressed. I want to sell four of them and keep two to build. Truman