• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

21st century Volksplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I have always been a fan of the Evans VP-1 and VP-2 Volksplane. Yes, they are underpowered and perhaps a little short on wing area (especially the two-seater) and certainly homely. Still, they have a charm all their own, a bit like full-size versions of the Guillow's balsa gliders and rubber-powered planes you can still get at the corner store.

There is another aspect of the Evans VP designs that can't be overestimated--they LOOK easy to build and that alone has been enough to help many would-be builders stop dreaming and start cutting wood. The same is true in boatbuilding, by the way. My first boat essentially looked like a soap dish with a sail and I was very proud of it. I later learned that it was no harder to make something that looked more like a boat, but that first boat, a Bolger "Brick," served its purpose--it got me to stop dream and start cutting wood. Full disclosure, I have built several boats, but not one airplane yet.

So, let me put it to this group. I'd like to see a 21st century Volksplane, a little plane that is easy and fast to build and looks that way: constant-chord wings and control surfaces, straight lines, something that makes almost anyone say, "Heck, even I could built THAT."

I'd still want to use VW power: direct-drive, 60-80 hp, simple and relatively cheap, say a Great Plains 1835cc on the low end and an AeroVee 2.0 on the high end. I'd like two seats and either an enclosed canopy or at least a layout that makes it easy to enclose or not as climate warrants. Docile handling for ham-fisted low-time pilots is essential, though I could see going with conventional landing gear for the short and rough field advantages. A choice between tricycle and taildragger would be ideal.

I don't want to spend a couple of years of my life with toxic chemicals and itchy fibers, so composite construction is out, though fine for a cowling or a fuel tank. Neither do I want to spend a lot of time with cold, cutting sheet metal or buck a lot of rivets, though again, a little sheet metal work here or there is fine. Spruce, plywood, steel, aluminum, fabric in some combination should make up most of the airframe.

Nominees from among existing designs are welcome. I'm also hoping some budding designers might share their concepts and projects.

Thoughts?

Back