• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2016 Pentastar engine... worth considering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfarber

Since I have not bought a engine, I am still open to suggestions.

I see that the 2016 Pentastar engine is a pretty good candidate:

All aluminum
60deg V6 (no balance shaft!)
In 'car form' is 326lbs (I'd say less than 300 when put in 'aircraft mode')
200hp at slightly over 4000rpm (out of 290hp avail at 6800)
Tuning/ECU mods is a thing
multiport, not direct injection
engines are fairly cheap (ebay < $1200)

Downsides:

Most PSRUs seem to only come with Ford/Chevy adapters
new engine, might have issues

I don't think this is a huge difference from the LV3 other than not having direct injection. The Pentastar would have more HP at higher RPM, but my sweet spot is 200hp at less than 4500RPM.

Any thoughts?

An IO-360-A1A at 180HP is 258 dry (according to wiki) so to see a car engine at 200hp for about 350lbs installed at less than $8k is interesting.

Back