2016 Pentastar engine... worth considering?

Discussion in 'General Auto Conversion Discussion' started by pfarber, Jan 14, 2020 at 8:59 PM.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:59 PM #1

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Since I have not bought a engine, I am still open to suggestions.

I see that the 2016 Pentastar engine is a pretty good candidate:

All aluminum
    60deg V6 (no balance shaft!)
    In 'car form' is 326lbs (I'd say less than 300 when put in 'aircraft mode')
    200hp at slightly over 4000rpm (out of 290hp avail at 6800)
    Tuning/ECU mods is a thing
    multiport, not direct injection
    engines are fairly cheap (ebay < $1200)

Downsides:

Most PSRUs seem to only come with Ford/Chevy adapters
    new engine, might have issues

I don't think this is a huge difference from the LV3 other than not having direct injection. The Pentastar would have more HP at higher RPM, but my sweet spot is 200hp at less than 4500RPM.

Any thoughts?

An IO-360-A1A at 180HP is 258 dry (according to wiki) so to see a car engine at 200hp for about 350lbs installed at less than $8k is interesting.

2. Jan 15, 2020 at 2:04 AM #2

Chris Matheny

Chris Matheny

Chris Matheny

Active Member HBA Supporter

They are also using them in the front wheel drive commercial vans used as service and vending trucks. My neighbor drives with close to 300k miles on it. That's a pretty heavy industrial usage and it apparently holds up well. I had one in my 2011 Challenger, never had any direct engine problems but a ton of electrical issues with the chassis. I'd definitely do an aftermarket ecu and harness.

3. Jan 15, 2020 at 10:49 AM #3

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Ya, dont ever trust stock electronics and wiring. There is a reason Tesla is creating an entirely new wiring architecture for its next generation of cars. Because the quality of wiring from the major suppliers is absolutely horrific.

The wiring on my truck is starting to fall apart after 5 years. Its absolute garbage.

You dont want to play Russian roulette with your wiring.

Chris Matheny likes this.
  4. Jan 15, 2020 at 9:55 PM #4

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Custom ECU programming would require the removal of unused circuits, and that would mean unwrap and re-wrap the harness and also reroute some things.

I have no issue with OEM wiring. Its fine. Its not like they spend millions to R&D the motor and then just throw garbage on top and call it a harness. If there are flaws, then a sharp eye on the specific forums would give tips.

And without know what issues there were (BCM? ECU? VATS?) the expense of a new harness without significant proof is just not gonna happen.

I like the low weight and the 60deg layout of the Pentastar. The cast in steel sleeves may be an issue if there is no cheap way to remove/repair them. But at $1200 for a motor you could just buy another in spec block.

5. Jan 15, 2020 at 11:41 PM #5

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

I've had my eye on these as well for future reference but don't know much about the details. Would be interesting if they were being sold brand new in volume and not just scouring rebuilders for a used one.

6. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:01 AM #6

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The rate of "serious" defects is about 15% right now, with an industry average of 12%. That is not good enough for aviation.

The problem is how they are made in the factory. It may perform fine as a prototype which has the wiring constructed to a high standard, but the quality of the cheap factory wiring is often horrendous.

When I used to work for a large corporation we often had entire lots of defective work vehicles delivered. We once had a lot of 60 $130,000 commercial trucks delivered with defective electronics that made the trucks near useless.

7. Jan 17, 2020 at 2:27 PM #7

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

You have to know that I'm gonna ask were you got this 15 and 12 number from.

What defects? connector? ECU? bad routing? You just can't say 'they suck' and not have something more than 'I once knew a fella' story.