2 Way Air Band Hand Held Radio Brand/Model Question

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Turbo_Boss, Apr 27, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1

Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss

Hello guys,

I am looking foy buying a new Two Way Air Band Handheld Radio. Was checking on the net and found a JRC JHP-500 for around U$ 115.00 Brand New
    Have any of you have some experience with this Brand/Model Radio? Or you recomend me to go with a ICOM Radio?
    THX for your time and help,
    Isaac

[​IMG]

Active/Standby Frequency Control: Switch between active and standby frequencies at the press of a button
    · Dual Watch: Monitor two frequencies at the same time.
    · Instant Memory Write: Instantly transfer the displayed frequency to memory at the press of a button
    · Nav Scan: Scans the Navigation frequency band to find useable VOR signals. (JHP-520 model only)
    · Group Scan: Scan memory channels in groups of 10
    · Auto CDI Centering: Automatically centers the CDI. (JHP-520 model only)
    The JHP-500 is the lowest priced, full featured, full keypad handheld on the market!

2. May 10, 2008 #2

AvDesign

AvDesign

AvDesign

:ban:Icom is the only brand of handheld transceivers I would even consider buying. The IC-A6 if you just want a com unit or the IC-A24 if you want a nav/com unit. If you are looking for used, IC-A5 or IC-A23 respectively. Trust me on this. I manage an avionics shop. Here's a link to a brochure for the IC-A6 & IC-A24: http://www.edmo.com/modules/products.../IC-A24_01.pdf
    And no, I don't work for them, they are a wholesale distributor. You'll need to contact a dealer (an avionics shop) to purchase one.

3. May 11, 2008 #3

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

I have the REXOM branded RHP-520, which looks exactly like yours. It worked fine for me the times I have used it; not much because I'm currently between airplanes.
    I would like to find pin-outs for the mic/ear-piece so I can install it in the plane I build/buy.
    Percy in NM, USA

4. Nov 11, 2016 #4

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Both the Icom and the Yaesu radios are good. They have been building hand held radios since forever. I have a Yaesu that I jokingly tell folks I use for a hammer...25 yrs old and still going strong. Audio out will not be as strong as a fixed radio normally, but a good headset will fix that problem. I have an Icom A4, older model but works well, limited audio. Since I play with ham radio, I have a ton of headsets and so tweaked one for use when flight training. Works OK for a backup rig, not as good as a D/C and a mounted rig. One suggestion is to lose the rubber duck antenna and use a tuned antenna instead.

Derswede

Derswede

bmcj likes this.