2 stroke Crank rebuild tools???

Discussion in '2-Stroke Aircaft Engines' started by Armilite, Nov 14, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. Nov 14, 2012 #1

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Does anyone have any CAD drawings of the tools needed to rebuild Skidoo/Rotax cranks?

Rich Gillen
    Armilite@aol.com

2. Nov 20, 2012 #2

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

Rich,

Rebuilding the crank on the two cycle engine is not something for a home mechanic to do. You need special equipment the dissemble and re-assemble the crank and not have it our of true.

Take it to your local snowmobile shop.

Richard

3. Aug 25, 2015 #3

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

20+ TON HYD PRESS $170 Minimum used.
    20 ton H-Frame Industrial Heavy Duty Floor Shop Press

Bearing Separator and Puller Set $44.99
    Bearing Separator and Puller Set

1 In. Travel Machinist's Dial Indicator (2) Needed. $15 each
    1" Travel Machinist's Dial Indicator

Multi-Position Magnetic Base with Fine Adjustment (2) Needed $13 each.
    Multipositional Magnetic Base with Fine Adjustment

6 in. Digital Caliper $20
    Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

Sled Crankshaft diassembly tool for Hyd. Press.
    https://grabcad.com/requests/sled-crankshaft-diassembly-tool-hyd-press

Some Good Photo's of the 2 Stroke Crank rebuild Process.
    RRRACING

If you have a Big Lathe, you can Center the Crank between centers to check Runout, or make a Stand.

4. Aug 25, 2015 #4

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

If you have a lathe you can also turn the parts for removing crank pins, as well as make your own alignment pins for reassembly. I guess you have figured out, unless you do a lot of crankshaft work, it's much cheaper to farm out crank rebuilding.

I have a lathe and have trued cranks between centers but I can tell you it's easier with the typical "roller bearings on a V-block stand"...much easier.

5. Aug 25, 2015 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Taking apart is not hard, its putting back together straight and true. A side note, I worked next to a machine shop with a BIG press. It killed two people. Both times shrapnel form misaligned parts blew through the workers chests like a shotgun blast. One was a car U-joint, one was a bearing. Insurance made them put a big cage around it. Be careful.

6. Aug 26, 2015 #6

TJay

TJay

TJay

Aren't you friends with Steeve Beetie? Just send it to him.

7. Aug 26, 2015 #7

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

======================================================================

Yes, if you have your own Mill, and Lathe, you can make some of these Parts. There are some 3D Modeled parts needed on www.Grabcad.com you could just download, and take to a Machine shop and have made, maybe by a friend, neighbor, etc. Lot's of cheap Scrap Metal in junk/salvage yards for pennies on the dollar.

So far, that's only $325 for the Tools. Just rebuilding (1) Crank can cost $250 in labor, and $250 in Parts, on average. So No, (1) Crank probably isn't worth it, but (2) Cranks, Yes. Also, allows you to rebuild others for $$$ for yourself, paying off them tools.

Yes, the Roller Bearing Stand, and V-Block Stands, are easier to True a Crank, than using a Lathe, but I haven't found their Prices yet, or any good Plans to build your own yet!

I have a 12" x 37" Lathe, myself. I probably got 8-10 Cranks to do right now.

Just showing what Basic Tools are needed for doing Rotax's. Some other Types of Engine Cranks may require a 40+ Ton Hyd. Press.

Another Tool Needed is a BFH (Big Fricking Hammer).

Rich

8. Aug 26, 2015 #8

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

==============================================================
    Oh Steve Beaty has been quiet for a while. He Crawled back into his dark hole! :) He crawls out of his hole about every 7-9 months. No, I don't think he rebuilds Cranks himself. Very few do, they send it out.

If I was going to have a Crank Rebuilt by anyone, I would send it down the Flordia, to Rotax Rick!

Just My Opinion
    Rich Gillen

9. Aug 27, 2015 #9

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

=============================================================================
    Yes, any Tool not used right can cause injury! The are Alignment Tools out today, if you want to pay for them.

Crank truing, Dial it in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Uas7leQgg

2-Stroke Crank Rebuild and True(Good Example)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTxYxkGjI6U

10. Aug 27, 2015 #10

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

======================================================================

Richard:

If your as Smart as a 14 year old(7th/8th Grader), you can do just about anything on these Rotax motors, like rebuilding these Cranks, if you have the money, and the time, and the space to do it! There is 14 year olds on Youtube doing it, on bikes, karts, Sleds, Jet Skies, etc.

I'm a railroad engineer by trade going on 41 years, but I have rebuilt my own Car/Truck automatic transmissions, engines, etc. for many years. You can do anything, if you put your Mind into it! I'm the type of person who would rather buy/make the Tool, and then learn to do it my self. Been rebuilding stuff since I was a 6th grader, that's when I rebuilt my first 2 Stroke, a 1 cylinder Bicycle motor.

Today, you have more, How To Books, Video's, Youtube, etc., than ever. There is a How To DVD's for about anything you can think of doing. There is at least (2) on how to rebuild a Rotax, and (1) on how to rebuild a Rotax Gear Drive.

Ken Oconner, of Oconner Racing fame, has some good Crank Rebuilding movie's on Youtube.

akwrencher and steveair2 like this.
  11. Aug 27, 2015 #11

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Some Crank Truing Stands I found Photo's of. I like the middle Green idea the Best. I like it being Ridgid for doing Single Cranks. With the new 8020 stuff they build all these CNC routers/plasma Frames out of, should make a nice stand that just bolts together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  12. Aug 27, 2015 #12

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Some more Crank Truing Stands.

Attached Files:

13. Aug 27, 2015 #13

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Some hyd. Press Tools I found. Some of these tools you can make yourself. For the Press Plate use good Steel Plate.

Attached Files:

steveair2 likes this.
  14. Aug 27, 2015 #14

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I do have a milling machine, lathe and a machinist background. But I don't do enough cranks to venture into rebuilding them myself.

Oh, that BFH has to be softer than the crank or you'll end up with an expensive piece of scrap metal. I like lead hammers myself but that's probably because I make my own.

15. Sep 11, 2015 #15

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

=================================================================

Sounds like you got Half the Tools needed already, and Machine Tools to make the other's you would need. None of those Truing Stands look that complicated. Me, I just want to do Skidoo/Rotax Singles, and older Twins anyway, maybe do some old Kawasaki's.

16. Sep 12, 2015 #16

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Must be missing something, ......Are the bearings bad? They are hardened, not to say can not be bad but in 40 years working on many motorcycles I have never had to re-build a crank.

17. Sep 12, 2015 #17

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I've got a need for a press now so I think l check out the 20t rig from HF. I've got a couple PWC cranks to practice on so this might be interesting. I'm in the same boat, if I can put a couple of engines together for an ultralight, I'll be thrilled.

18. Sep 12, 2015 #18

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I've rebuilt 4-1/2 PWC engines over the past couple years and the all had bad cranks/con rods. Nobody wants to touch those so they are the best deals. On one rebuild, the center bearings ( roller bearings) were seized. The outer race was blue so they got pretty hot. Back in my dirtbike racing days, a crank rebuild was not a regular event but it did happen. The age old enemies of two-stroke engines are dirt and (lack of) lubrication.

19. Sep 12, 2015 #19

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Racing is hard on an engine, never done it, prefer stock as the best compromise, and conservative running for long life. Sounds like fun though. PWC (Power water craft?) water cooled? forgot the oil? Of course if you forget/run out of the oil,... the engine is toast. After you buy the specialty bearings, maybe new crank pins/rods etc, would it make more sense to get one at the junk yard or buy an overhauled crank?

20. Sep 14, 2015 #20

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Because of marginal lubrication in the first place, sometimes an engine thinks it ran out of oil even when it didn't.

There are situations where I would install a used crank in an engine. An engine in a flying machine isn't one of them. Sometimes, key components are hard to inspect without breaking the crank down.

I still don't think I can rebuild a crank for less than what I can send it out and have it done but Armilite got me thinking. Once that happens......