2 stroke alternative ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

I had a go on a can-am in the late 80's. Magical levitating front wheel. Just like the Japanese competition.
They were doing some cicuit racing with tandem twins and not getting humiliated.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I rode a Can-Am ASE enduro bike back around 1985 when they had just come out.....
It was rough around the edges compared to the Japanese offerings......but it was a brute when you would twist the wick....raw,unrefined power.

D*mn.....I miss the 80's .....good times,good times.

Kevin

Sockmonkey

A six cylinder radial scuderi engine might not suck.
Need valves on the power cylinders but the cams can be on the crank.
Power wouldn't be any better than a 4 stroke radial with the same number of cylinders, but it's a lot fewer parts. Plus you gotta love the lightness of a single-throw crank.

proppastie

Log Member
say you wanted 20 hp glider launch only (5-10 min climb) .... 2 stroke, 31" 6000 rpm prop (no re-drive) were considering a bike engine with the transmission cut off....light as possible.....would the crank bearings handle the prop loads... and what bike engine would you recommend.....the Rotax 277 is north of 30 lbs...the model engines are under 15 lb.

mm4440

I made new experimental 2-stroke. Use most of the stock parts + some addons. Power of 2cylinder inline increased from 50 to 64hp. After some design alternation and numerous tests going to make 2-stroke stars use the same approach.
Hi, what kind of crank/rod setup are you using? oil system?

jbiplane

Hi, what kind of crank/rod setup are you using? oil system?
It stock engine 72mm bore 61mm stroke with some parts instead of standard pistons:
- steel pushers connected to conrod
- aluminum spacer
- brass liners

Oil system is simple we have separate nozzles for fuel and oil to simplify end user life.

It is prototype. Know how make much better, but it is initiative project made for "pocket money"

Tiger Tim

Huh, apparently the PattOP engine really does run well.
That’s really something to just wind it up on the coffee table like that. Seems to me that Manolis is a clever guy just maybe not focused. If he could partner up with a good salesman they’d probably be swimming in grant money, if nothing else.

Victor Bravo

Oh God I hope you're not talking about me... he would drive me batty in less than five minutes. He already drove me batty when he was unleashing his torrent of bizarre graphics on that HBA thread. My therapy sessions are ongoing...

Reactions: BJC

Sockmonkey

Oh God I hope you're not talking about me... he would drive me batty in less than five minutes. He already drove me batty when he was unleashing his torrent of bizarre graphics on that HBA thread. My therapy sessions are ongoing...
To be fair, there was some miscommunication there. The discussion was over by the time I looked at the thread but I could see several points that weren't expressed as well as they might have been. For example, on that flying backpack thing the issue people were trying to explain was that it would need rudders if one were to pitch it horizontally for high speeds. He repeated that the pendulum effect would keep it stable in hover. Nobody directly said "Hey, the pendulum stability only works for hover because the downward pull of gravity isn't going to rotate with the aircraft when you pitch forward for cruise."
I think the reason he didn't think of that himself is that he imagined it during the portion of horizontal flight where it was accelerating up to cruise speed.
During that portion of horizontal flight, the pendulum effect would be in play because horizontal acceleration gives the same effect that horizontal gravity would. Once it was up to speed of course that stability would be gone, and it would need fins of some kind.

His rotating two-cylinder engine was tricky to understand at first, but not everyone really tried to grasp how it was balanced. That being said, the issue of fuel delivery was one he needed to address.

henryk

It stock engine 72mm bore 61mm stroke with some parts instead of standard pistons:
- steel pushers connected to conrod
- aluminum spacer
- brass liners

Oil system is simple we have separate nozzles for fuel and oil to simplify end user life.

It is prototype. Know how make much better, but it is initiative project made for "pocket money"
=lower pistons friction !
(linear bearings ?)

=weight (comparation with RMZ500/R503/R582)

(Balandin motor have simillar conrod,but moore complicated crankshaft...)

Last edited:

henryk

Our design add 2kg to original RMZ550. Possible make better. Hopefully will make intense tests next week.
Our design add 2kg to original RMZ550. Possible make better. Hopefully will make intense tests next week.
=RMZ550 minus exhaust=weight ?
=iff carbon/kevlar conrod (tube)...

-do You know DLC technology ?

PS=actual price and weight of OPPOSITE engine (350)?