• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2 seater Cri-Cri, HummelBird or SD-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicRuler

I'm sure everyone here knows of such great planes as the
Cri MC-15

Hummel Bird

These specs are with 37hp 1/2 VW engine and 170# pilot.
No spins Low "G" Aerobatics
Airfoil - modified Clark-YHP (range)30-40Wing Span (ft)
18Wing Area (sq. ft.)57.2Length (ft)13' 4"Empty Weight300Gross Weight530VNE Speed (mph)145Cruise (mph)100-115Stall (mph)38Takeoff Distance (ft)300Take off over 50' obstacle (ft)1000Landing Roll (ft)800Fuel Capacity (gal)6"G" rating6.6

SD-1 Minisport
SD1h2.jpg

Specifications
SI unitsImperial units Wingspan 6,0 m 19.68 ft Length 4,35 m 14.27 ft Height 1,23 m 4 ft Wing area 6,0 m2 64.6 ft2 Empty weight* 110 kg 245 lbs MTOM 240 kg 533 lbs Payload* 130 kg 289 lbs Maximum pilot weight 105 kg 233 lbs Tank capacity 28 l 7.4 US gal Engine power** 20,6 kW 28 HP Fuel consumption** 6 l/h 1.32 gal/h Service loads +4/-2 g
stall speed with flaps 39

At the moment I'm a college student, I also live in the Bahamas and later on in life I'd love to own and fly an airplane preferably a Cri-Cri, SD-1 or a Hummel Bird probably with floats lol:ban:
BTW I know these are great planes and reason many persons love them is because their cheap, compact and simple engines. But I've been wondering for a while why only build models with a single seat. I own an ATV and I can tell you, I can have fun on my own but when I have company the experience is fell 20 times better. So I thought why not add another seat.

Cri-Cri out of the pot, with some modifying to the kit during construction why not add tandem seats like in the AirBike to the SD-1 or Hummel Bird.
airbike.31.jpg
airbike.34.jpg

pilots and passengers of the Airbike have comented that the seating arrangement is quite comfortable and with the seats being so close together and the rear seat occupying baggage space the Cg wont be thrown off by much, add 5-12 inches to the cockpit while extending the wingspan by 2-5 feet help the wing loading and decrease stall speed.
The original SD-1 with its 19.6 foot wingspan and 28 hp engine can handle up to a payload of 289 pounds. 2 x 130 pound passenger =260 that leaves 30 pounds of fuel or roughly 5 gallons. with an extended wingspan and a beefer engine the payload would increase by much. Baggage could be placed under the seat or if there is no passenger his seat becames the baggage rack, The landing gear may need redesigning and the cockpit's changed shape minor but the SD-1 one is made of wood and it looks easy to modify
ss1.jpg
ss2.jpg

ss10.jpg
ss12.jpg

Please forgive my Naivety no matter how old we are all still learning

Back