2/3 scale P-51 fuselage (FREE)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
Free to a good home, As Is, Where Is. (Las Cruces, NM KLRU)

I saved a fuselage kit for a Task Research 2/3 scale P-51 from the dumpster yesterday. I have the fuselage sides, a bunch of bulkheads (maybe all of them), the cowl and radiator scoop, a really nice carbon fiber canopy frame/roll bar, etc.

The story I got was that the designer/manufacturer died before he could deliver the rest of the kit and the company went belly up.

20180707_101248_resized.jpg 20180707_101253_resized.jpg I'll take some pictures of the rest of the kit tomorrow.

I have to get this thing out of the EAA hangar pretty quick and it won't fit in my hanger. I'd hate to see it end up in a dumpster ;/

Tiger Tim

I had never heard of this kit before but it looks like as of 1993 there were over thirty kits sold and under twenty delivered so whoever gets this at least will have some peers. It also looks like the kit was developed by someone with an idea of what they were doing, which helps.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/state-entrepreneur-soars-with-p-mustang-do-it-yourself-kit/article_8f6c6a15-21d1-5685-8f7f-b0b1feda6b06.html

Looks like it was sold as the FEW P-51 and is pretty decent to my eye:

Marc W

I was offered a job at Task Research in the late 1980's at Santa Paula Airport. I saw the unfinished plug for the wing in the shop. I think the fuselage was hanging in there too. I didn't take the job and I always wondered what happened to the project and Jim Kern too for that matter.

I would take this in a heartbeat if it was closer.

FritzW

Log Member
...a couple more pictures

20180709_124552_resized.jpg 20180709_124603_resized.jpg 20180709_124620_resized.jpg

Still FREE to anyone with a trailer. ...lets keep it out of the dumpster!

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
So let me get this straight... It's hanging in your chapter hangar - presumably all the chapter membership is aware...

...and you can't even give it away? That's some active chapter you have there!

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Fritz, this is a total "shot in the dark", but I am going to tell a friend of mine about this who is in the movie Special Effects business. Let me see if I can get some interest...

Don't touch that dial...er...dumpster !!!

FritzW

Log Member
So let me get this straight... It's hanging in your chapter hangar - presumably all the chapter membership is aware...

...and you can't even give it away? That's some active chapter you have there!
That's some presumptuous B.S. "tool"builder :ermm: Those that are able to build are building their butts off and don't have the time/room/money for another project (like me). Those that aren't able (too old/too broke/too busy with life) are morally supporting those who are building. To assume that our chapter isn't active is, well..., presumptuous B.S.

FritzW

Log Member
...the movie Special Effects business.
Thanks VB,

Please keep me posted. Our, inactive, chapter talked about putting it together as a static display but everybody is, inactively, too busy with their own projects. Before it goes in the dumpster my, inactive, chapter has decided we'll 3D scan it on my large bed CNC machine. At least we'll have the files to reproduce the parts in the future, ...if we ever become an active chapter.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I spoke to four people since my last post, one seems like he may be interested. The FX guy said he cannot go get it, my warbird enthusiast frriend is working full time and says if it is still available in a few weeks he would be interested. Another friend (an old Huey Gunship driver and IA) says he is interested, because he thinks he his brother is on his way through I-10 NM/TX with a truck this week.

So with all that the bottom line is... I think there's some legit chance I can find a home for it but it's a daisy chain of "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy...."

If you want to PM me a phone number or some other contact info I will pass it on to the one guy who seems most interested.

Bill / VB

P.S. glad to see you more active on the HBA forum again.

FritzW

Log Member
...may be interested
Thanks VB, PM is on the way.

Please give my contact info to anyone that might be interested. If someone is serious I'll make sure it survives. ...even if I have to store it in my living room ;)

I might be able to borrow a trailer and start heading west if someone out there has a trailer and can start heading east.

P.S. glad to see you more active on the HBA forum again.
...it's been a crazy time here. We've got three airplanes getting ready for a DAR inspection, one that just passed it's DAR inspection and ended up on it's back on it's maiden flight, two guys crash their airplanes (one fatal, one not) and three guys die from TMB (Too Many Birthdays). As the self appointed Chapter Chaplin and member of the "hangar clean out" team for the widows, I've had a snoot full of homebuilt airplanes. ...and I found out tonight from toolbuilder that my chapter isn't active :whistle:

choppergirl

Banned
So far I've grabbed all three of my planes right before they hit the dumpster. :) It's kind of my modus operandi.

A P-51 replica though, you're biting off a lot... that's a decade off your life probably to complete, and $50K out of your pocket? If you add all that glass panel and instrument/cockpit junk? Just guessing. Too rich for my purse. Also, flip side of my continent.

If only it had wings, it'd look good in my living room... I forwarded it to my friend Mac who has his own airstrip, who has a current fascination with an XP-82 he keeps visiting...

My dad would **** a brick if I trailered home a P-51 replica kit from NM. His favorite plane.
Then 20 seconds would pass and he'd say "Where's the rest of it?"

Give it to someone before I drag Tim's pic into a paint program... oops, too late :p

pink p52.jpg

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
How about EBay? Throw it on there with an opening bid of $1.00 and see what happens. Did the same thing with an old Mooney project that I was going to cut up for scrap. Ended up with a few hundred bucks, but most importantly I had an "invested" party who promptly came and got it out of my hangar. My theory is that people don't like "free".

ScaleBirdsScott

We'd be interested just because it's cool, but it's a long haul to NM from CT. And is anyone actually making the wing kits anymore? That'll be a major factor in someone picking it up, not to mention the retracts and all that.

If it had the wings it would be a serious catch and worth some money I think.

It'd be a shame, but, without the wings someone could at least just to turn it into some kind of epic P51 open-wheel novelty car. Or a really really cool flight simulator. Or mount the fuse halves on the wall with some racy pinup art.

Or buy a wing kit and slap a V8 on the beast as intended.

Monty

For the love of Mike....will someone please pick this thing up to remove the temptation! I have a nice shiny V12 and re-drive that would be perfect for this.

Turd Ferguson

I had never heard of this kit before but it looks like as of 1993 there were over thirty kits sold and under twenty delivered so whoever gets this at least will have some peers. It also looks like the kit was developed by someone with an idea of what they were doing, which helps.

Looks like it was sold as the FEW P-51 and is pretty decent to my eye:
I remember the FEW/Task P-51 very well. The ultimate failure was lack of a 2/3 scale powerplant/PSRU. The garden variety RV-xx could outperform it and was easier to build and most importantly, used an off-the-shelf powerplant.

Nonetheless, what a waste for it to be scrapped.

FritzW

Log Member
Fritz, did Bill Reid ever get a hold of you about having his brother pick this up?
Not yet. Me and the gang stashed the fuselage in the corner of the hangar, it should be safe for a while. But at some point (because we rent hangar space in our EAA hangar) the villagers are are going to come after me with torches and pitchforks to get it out of there :gig:

20180713_103007_resized.jpg ...yeah, I'm setting on a work stool that's too tall, but I shot down 3 Messerschmidts before the guys made me get out.