• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2+2 automotive rear seat sizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
Hi, folks, I suspect the answer to that is "get out there with a tape measurer", but wondering if anyone has anything useful on hand.

I've been assuming a three-seater for my design for much the same reasons the Dyke Delta ended up there, but I realized today that I really do need to consider if a 2+2 would make more sense. To be clear, I mean 2+2 in the automotive sense -- a four seater where the back two seats are usable for kids, and for motivated adults for short trips, but are very much deliberately sacrificing comfort in the back for reduced size and increased comfort in the front.

I've only been in the back of a few 2+2s, and none recently, so I definitely need to get a sense of just how small I want to go; but I'm wondering if anyone has any size numbers (width at hips, height over seat, and most importantly something like seat pitch) for any of the designs out there so Ic an see if this is even worth exploring further? I know there's a range here -- I suspect the Porsche 911 rear seats are mostly for insurance reasons, while the Volvo P1800 I used to ride in the back of was pretty darn functional for kids; but a starting point is a starting point.

Back