• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2.0 L VW TDI Diesel Conversion Comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I have developed an interest in the VW TDI diesel engines as an automotive engine conversion for experimental aircraft. I have done minimal research at this time but can see a future for thousands of recalled engines converted for aircraft use.

Has anyone looked into this or have detailed knowledge of the engine?

The 2.0 L engine generally has 100 to 140 hp with iron block and aluminum heads and max torque between 1,700 and 2,500 rpm and max power at 4,000 rpm

Horsepower (SAE net) 140@4,000
Torque 236 lb.-ft. (320 Nm)@1,700-2,500 rpm

This is one of the engines that was involved in the VW Diesel Gate program with roughly 500,000 cars involved.

I am looking for weights but those numbers will not be firm as configurations vary and a weight reduction program would be expected.

Back