2.0 Ecotec 260HP

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by Alan Waters, Jun 9, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 4, 2009 #41

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

250HP out of a VW engine isn't going to last long, I don't care what any "expert" says. VW's have oil-cooling issues even at 100HP. A VW pumping out 250 is going to chew itself to pieces in no time at all. I've seen some VW-based club dragsters like PT is talking about, putting out that kind of power from a bored-out Type 4 engine with the euro pistons, but that literally was only for a few seconds at high RPM, and they practically had to rebuild the engine after every event.

Putting out 250 for hours on end is a totally different animal.

2. Jul 5, 2009 #42

pepsi71ocean

pepsi71ocean

pepsi71ocean

your almost better off with a Marine Engine then an auto conversion, IMO. Marine engines run 75% full throttle for hours on end in boats, i don't see why one can't do the same in an aircraft application.

3. Jul 5, 2009 #43

Alan Waters

Alan Waters

Alan Waters

4. Jul 5, 2009 #44

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Well, it's interesting, but it is not a VW. Does it even share one component with an original VW? Looks like an entirely new creation and not in any way comparable to what can be done with the VW types we usually see in airplanes.

But at 3.5 Liters capacity, it would make quite a reasonable 100 hp direct drive aircraft engine (the 0-200 is about 3.3 l), provided the front bearing can handle a prop. Of course by the time you're done you will have spent close to $20,000 on it - Rotax 914 prices.

5. Sep 19, 2009 #45

Alan Waters

Alan Waters

Alan Waters

6. May 20, 2011 #46

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

That is a true figure for drag engines. They really stout.

7. May 20, 2011 #47

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

The Ecotec 2.0 L with supercharger weighs about the same as an O-360 at 314 lbs. PSRU with prop, etc., about 400 - 420 lbs. I prefer the supercharged version because of the heat issues with the turbo's. In about six weeks I should have inflight performance data.

8. May 22, 2011 #48

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

I am going to use the GM Ecotec LSJ supercharged 4 cylindar engine. The Ecotec line of engines are bullet proof. They have a forged crank and piston rods. They use a main girdle instead of main caps. With an aluminum block, this supplies additional stability. It has a 7 qt oil pan and comes stock with an oil cooler. It has 205 HP and 200 ft lbs. of torque. All of the torque is in between 3000 and 4000 rpm. This is ideal with a PSRU. This is a prop rpm between 1875 and 2500 rpm with a 1.6 reduction. The engine also comes with an intercooler for the supercharger. I like the supercharger because of the additional heat issues with turbochargers. The ECU either has to be modified or you can replace it with the MEFI5(Marine Electronic Fuel Injection) ECU. It does away all of the car sensor points that are not needed with a boat or airplane. It does need slight modification but not a big deal. This engine comes in many flavors from 142 hp to 260 hp. Firwall forward with the supercharger, it weighs right at the same weight as an o-360. I am intending to use a Geared Drives PSRU. I have to wait and see the direction of the company with the death of Bud Waren.

9. Jun 28, 2011 #49

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

In drag racing terms, if it gets to the finish line before detonation, that's reliable. But it's true, 1400hp from a supercharged 2L drag application. That and the many other types of endurance racing have proven this engine is a winner. It is really engineered stout. That's what attracted me to it for my build. I already have an LSJ motor complete with 391 actual on it.

10. Dec 5, 2011 #50

Mac the Knife

Mac the Knife

Mac the Knife

Blaine,

I'm a new poster to this blog. Very interested in an update on progress you have made and additional info on the marine ECU to eliminate all of the auto sensor constraints. Can you elaborate please?

I have an RV6A under construction and might yet consider diverging from a conventional O320 Lycoming.

Thanks!

MtK

11. Feb 18, 2012 #51

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

Currently I have been on hold while I am dealing with a medical issue. I am hoping to begin on the engine mount very soon. Any engine info can be gotten from Revolution Racing Engines, 805-238-3930. When Bud Warren was killed, it left me with PSRU issues to sort out. It appears that a buyer has been found for Geared Drives and we'll know shortly wherre the company stands.

12. Jan 9, 2013 #52

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

I have looked into a PSRU for the Ecotec engine family and the drive from Air Boat Gear Drives can be used with any Chevy big/small block v8 or 90 degree v6. It has 2.0 reduction ratio and has had no failures in twenty five years of use on airboats. They get more use than any airplane. It is a very stout unit with a reverse rotation. No different than using a low time certified reverse companion from a twin. They're only $2195 and you supply the flex plate for attachment to the engine. They will attach their resonance absorbing coupler to the flex plate. I am using the Ecotec 2.0L supercharged engine and am fabricating and adaptor plate for this combination. My PSRU is on the way. I'll have pictures of my adaptor plate and the PSRU attached to my engine in the cradle I am building with a mockup of my firewall so that I can build my engine mount. Blaine Anderson

rv6ejguy likes this.
  13. Jan 9, 2013 #53

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Will be interesting to watch your project!

14. Jan 11, 2013 #54

blainepga

blainepga

blainepga

The MEFI 5a ECM from the GM Parts Direct, P/N 12607802, is a marine application with none of the auto related parts but all of the good engine reporting data.

15. Jan 11, 2013 #55

Jaxx

Jaxx

Jaxx

That engine can produce 200+ HP with 8 psi boost..reliably..

16. Mar 8, 2014 #56

velojym

velojym

velojym

I'm curious as to whether anyone's gotten further with these things. I'm driving an '06 HHR with the 2.4, and am very happy with it as a car engine, and have wondered how it'd be in front of a CH801.
    Maybe even a 750, slightly derated.