1st time project selection

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by lake_harley, Feb 4, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm in the hopes of starting my first plane project (ultralight) very soon. I've been saying that for a couple months. So far I have bought 3 sets of plans and probably, to those around me, have seemed wishy-washy about what I want to build, or say I'm going to build. My considerations have gone from a simple design (plans looked like copies of napkin sketches), to one that is quite involved (but really airplane looking, and I'd like to build it as my 2nd project for sure!), and back to a really simple, back-to-basics ultralight. Am I the only one who can't make up his mind, or have others had the first-time builder hesitations about getting into something that's either over their head or not quite what they want? So far I've spent $455 on plans and building CD's, and in one case drove 1400 miles, round trip, to look at a finished version of a plane. I justify it all with the arguement that the time for indecision is before the project begins. Maybe others have had the same experience?

Thanks

Lynn

2. Feb 5, 2007 #2

CAB

CAB

CAB

Take your time, Lynn. I took over a year to decide myself. I say join our local EAA chapter and attend some airshows. You'll get real-world first-hand info; priceless! You're in for a looooooong build, don't rush it!

CAB
    Bearhawk#862

3. Feb 6, 2007 #3

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Over a year?!?!
    I've been interested in homebuilts for about 8 years, and I still don't know what I want to build!! lol!:grin:

Right now, I'm mulling over the idea of maybe a Murphy Rebel, but that'll prob'ly change another 5-6 times by the end of the year... hehe

Carry on...
    Y^A^D

4. Feb 6, 2007 #4

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

CAB...thanks for the advice
    YAD...you're not helping my sanity:nervous:

I don't know how long I can stand this indecision. I just want to get started on something I can fly and prove to myself that I can do it. THEN.....I'll want to do it build something a bit more challenging, I think. At least now I know I'm not in it alone.

Thanks

Lynn

5. Feb 6, 2007 #5

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

You are definitely not alone!

6. Feb 6, 2007 #6

Papakeith

Papakeith

Papakeith

+1

Define your mission. That should help you narrow it down some. After a point it just becomes something intangible. Good luck in your search.

7. Feb 9, 2007 #7

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

It also becomes a matter of knowing what material you will enjoy building in. Some folks enjoy wood, others sheet metal. Me, I know that I can communicate in composites and enjoy it. I also know that I would never finish a sheet metal airplane.

Between mission and material set, that narrows the choices. About the time you are taking, big deal. Building is a long term hobby, so you had better pick a project that you will enjoy.

Billski

8. Feb 12, 2007 #8

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks for the advice. I know metal is my medium. Wood and I don't get along at all, all my tools and equipment are of the metal working variety, and I know just slightly more than nothing about composites, so that part was easy.

My mission is to get into the air relatively quickly. I've finally come to grips that a long term project would probably burn me out, without having something (ultralight) to learn to fly short term, and that should help keep my enthusiasm up for a second, more involved project. I think I know now that it's in my best interest to build a really simple ultralight as a stepping stone of sorts. I don't particularly want to buy one ready-to-fly. I think part of my interest in flying is to have built what I fly. I think I have the plans now for what I want to do.

See....your input(s) helped! Thanks.

Lynn