1970 Aerosport Rail

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dillpickle

The family is still selling plans for the rail, scamp, and quail. This is from an email response last week by Scott Woods

"Yes. I have them and they are available for $165 including S&H. I accept PayPal and Venmo or personal check. Send me your contact information and I can get them out to you.

Thanks,
Scott Woods
919-820-6913".
He was pretty quick responding.

Dillpickle

That airplane would look pretty good with a pod fairing the pilot. Would improve the aerodynamics. The same wings and engine provide much better performance on the quail.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I could see a design like that "Mr. Funster" kept within European microlight limits (so also well within LSA limits but not Part 103) and powered by an off-the-shelf paramotor two-stroke as a very appealing project for many people. Yes, I would give it the option of a more enclosed cockpit (not everyone lives in a warm climate). I'd also keep the main gear track, center section span, boom placement, and tailplane span to about 7' and overall length under 18' to fit in a 20' ISO shipping container or modest trailer and facilitate building in a small workshop.

1627491850028.png

That airplane would look pretty good with a pod fairing the pilot. Would improve the aerodynamics. The same wings and engine provide much better performance on the quail.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The Quail was originally designed around the JLO engine if I remember correctly
The article linked early in this thread describes the first two engine choices but doesn't mention the final choice, the vw.
My understanding is that the Quail was designed for the VW from the start. It performs well with the VW. (I haven’t flown a Quail, but I have flown formation with one for 8 - 10 hours.

BJC

Dillpickle

My understanding is that the Quail was designed for the VW from the start. It performs well with the VW. (I haven’t flown a Quail, but I have flown formation with one for 8 - 10 hours.

BJC
I did just read an internet site that stated the designed and first engine was the rockwell 680. It was on the net with words and pics, so it's gotta be true, right? Lol heres a wiki link: Aerosport Quail - Wikipedia

Regardless, I just don't see why more builders don't choose these. The quail has a 300 plus pound useful load, and inexpensive pop rivet construction. The Rail is almost exactly what Erikki the giant is looking for, and could be prettied up. It has an empty of 446, and a gross of 730--not quite what the quail will lug...but waaaaaay more head room! You'd have to bend or find someone to bend the spar angles. Not impossible.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I did just read an internet site that stated the designed and first engine was the rockwell 680. It was on the net with words and pics, so it's gotta be true, right? Lol heres a wiki link:
That could be correct, but I have thought, perhaps incorrectly, that it was the result of a mis-reading of an article about the Rail.

Regardless, I just don't see why more builders don't choose these.
I agree that the Quail meets the objectives frequently stated by people here. It is a good solid design that is easy to build and performs well on a low power VW.
You'd have to bend or find someone to bend the spar angles. Not impossible.
HVAC shops frequently have brakes that will do the job.

BTW, the one in the NC Aviation Museum, shown in the Wiki link, was built by my late friend, Harold Shehane, of Raliegh, NC. He flew it for over 1,000 trouble-free hours, including about 8 or 10 in formation on one of our trips to the NC mountain country. Harold demonstrated the Aerosport aircraft for Harris at Sun n Fun and other homebuilt gatherings in the southeast.

BJC

Dillpickle

That could be correct, but I have thought, perhaps incorrectly, that it was the result of a mis-reading on an article about the rail.

I agree that the Quail meets the objectives frequently stated by people here. It is a good solid design that is easy to build and performs well on a low power VW.HVAC shops frequently have brakes that will do the job." Quote

How's the cockpit dimensions on the Quail? How tall of a pilot was your friend? And..errr... how wide? Lol

BJC

HBA Supporter
Harold was (my estimation) around 5’ 10” and 190 pounds.

The Quail cockpit is large; plenty of room for a bigger person. The seating position is fairly flat. A change to the landing gear to get the cockpit floor higher off the ground would improve the aesthetics and make entry / egress easier.

BJC

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The Quail is another design that seems to have almost been lost to history, and shouldn't be. It looks like a very elegant solution (to an inexpensive, but conventional construction, personal aircraft). There's likely several engines available now that would work on that, although I have no idea of anything about the design. Never seen one in person.

BJC is there anything difficult, abnormal, or unusual about how it's built that would scare anyone away? Is it simple sheets and pop rivets, or is it built like the CriCri with a thousand tiny parts? Does anyone know the reason why the Quail "failed" in the marketplace?

BJC

HBA Supporter
There's likely several engines available now that would work on that,
An 80 HP Jabaru, moved forward for balance, would provide more HP, slightly lighter weight, slanting the windshield for streamlining and aesthetics. The O-100 would be nice, too.
BJC is there anything difficult, abnormal, or unusual about how it's built that would scare anyone away? Is it simple sheets and pop rivets,
I don’t know all the details, but it is simple, with all pull rivets.
Does anyone know the reason why the Quail "failed" in the marketplace?
My speculation: 1) Poor marketing. I mentioned that I knew Harold, the demo pilot very well, and I also knew Harris’ son, Bob, a true tube and fabric craftsman. Notice the absence of any comments about PR or Marketing. 2) The choice of all aluminum was, at the time, contrary to what was popular with homebuilders, especially those in the VW-powered category.

Never flew it, but did fly formation with it, so I know what it can do.

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
One built and flew in Columbus, Oh many years ago.