• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1955 GMC Half Ton, Stepside Pickup For Plane Towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrochey

I thought I'd bring this up to those in here who are as crazy about old trucks as planes... anyway, I bought a 1955 GMC Half Ton from a local friend and part time postal worker... he was the second owner and the truck has been stored here in New Mexico for decades... for reference he owns his father's (passed away) old gas station on route 66 near me and the place is a museum, but he just fixes cars... the pumps still say 31.9 cents per gallon and there is no way to put anything above 99 cents on the pump. The truck is completely and absolutely original and despite being parked with a hundred other of his old vehicles... only needs a timing gear to get the 235 engine back on the highway... but it needs restored and it shouldn't be tough since it has very little rust , just surface stuff mostly and a few dings here and there... the wood bed needs replaced but I found a replacement on line... I'm imagining towing a Volksplane with it or a Cygnet... One fender has some damage and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about getting a new fender (I found everything for this truck) or should I repair the old one..??? I might get halfway through restoring it and sell it... My friend has a nice 1950 Chevy coupe I have my eyes on... !! This is what it will look like restored... mine is also turquoise... the same color I will paint my plane...

gmc.jpg

Back