1917 Neuport 24 Bis replica Build by Flying Legends in Bulgaria

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Saville

I know this is slightly off topic but it's been bothering me for years and I cannot find an answer on the web:

What does "bis" mean? As in Nieuport 24 bis

Thanks

Wanttaja

I know this is slightly off topic but it's been bothering me for years and I cannot find an answer on the web:

IIRC, it's along the lines of "modified" or "new version." From the Wikipedia entry on the Nieuport 24:

The 24 also received an entirely new rounded moulded plywood empennage incorporating a small fixed fin and a half-heart shaped rudder.[3] Use of the new tail was delayed, and most production aircraft were of the Nieuport 24bis model, which reverted to the Nieuport 17 type tailplane and rectangular balanced rudder but was otherwise the same as the 24.

Ron Wanttaja

Svetlio_i

Thanks
Mostly Bis , because tail shape is little different from 24 .

Saville

Mostly Bis , because tail shape is little different from 24 .

But what, exactly does "Bis" mean? I don't care about the specific aircraft differences..I want to know what "Bis" means....what does it translate to?

thanks

TFF

I always thought it meant something like iteration or copy from the prototype. 24 would be the prototype 24 bis is the manufactured.

Saville

I always thought it meant something like iteration or copy from the prototype. 24 would be the prototype 24 bis is the manufactured.

Ah ok so something like:

Nieuport 24 modified ?

I see that bis in French can mean "encore" so you might be right.

But what if there are several mods to the 24 - like 24A, 24B, 24C in US parlance?

TFF

I think we are dealing with 19th Century French. Nieuport 14,17,24,27 are pretty much the ABC updates to the 11. 28 was clean sheet.

sming

No, it just mean "twice" in latin : bis - Wiktionary (etymology 2)
So because french is heavily grounded in latin and it was a mandatory subject for higher education (perhaps a bit less now, but still, I had a mandatory 1h a week in middle school 25 years ago) It is/was used a lot in science.
So yeah, just mean "second prototype"

Edit: hah! Juste looked at my link and it's the same root as the "bi" in Biplane ;)