Quantcast

13b rotary engine controllers. What are people using?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

8davebarker

HBA Supporter
I recently had a major catastrophe. An accidental short circuit maimed the processor chips on my Tracy Crooks EC2 engine controller.They are out of business and I am looking for a replacement device. The engine is a Madza 13b rotary. Does anyone know of an EC2 controller anywhere? and or someone that can service my unit? it is Equipped To drive primary and secondary injectors ~2k ohm, 4 each D580 smart coils Lead / trail igniters, Magnetic crank angle sensors ~4 v p-p output Below) Manifold pressure vacuum sensor Intake air temp thermistor ( ~ 30 Kohm at room temp) HELP HELP HELP!!!! Would also recommend information on what other Controllers are being used on 13b rotary engine aircraft.
Dave Barker BARC Phone 805 681 1289

Attachments

pictsidhe

There are places that can repair almost anything. Saves me having to do it at work :)
What, exactly, did you short out? Some parts are easy to replace.
I haven't heard anything bad about Ross's SDSEFI systems yet, if you need to replace. He may even be able to repair yours.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
What, exactly, did you short out? Some parts are easy to replace.
As Pictsidhe mentioned many things can be repaired. If there is any visible damage or obviously smoked parts sometimes it is worth the time to simply replace the chip/component/trace and see if it comes back to life.

Given the popularity of the engine I'd guess that someone has already adapted something common like the Megasquirt?

rv7charlie

Last I heard, SDS will only do injection on a rotary; ignition isn't supported.

Dave,
Did you see the posts on Flyrotary? I think there were a few guys that thought they had spares available. If those fall through, the Megasquirt & Microsquirt series will work with rotaries. There are several others, as well; I think there's a South African model that's very rotary-centric. Tracy has been playing with the Speeduino and last time I talked with him, he was liking what he saw.

Any of the above would obviously be a single-controller; if you want redundancy you'd need a relay board to switch sensors, injectors and coils between two copies (that's how it's done inside the RWS boxes).

Charlie

FinnFlyer

I might take a look at it. My biggest concern wold be that the chip (programming) is dead. From your picture it looks like you have a custom set-up (dual magnetic pickups). However if the programming pins still work -- even if other input/pins are fried -- it would be possible to read the code and program new chips.

I just looked at the EC2 source code. Didn't see Dave Baker mentioned in the comments. What's the date and version written on the EB2 box?

Finn

8davebarker

HBA Supporter
I might take a look at it. My biggest concern wold be that the chip (programming) is dead. From your picture it looks like you have a custom set-up (dual magnetic pickups). However if the programming pins still work -- even if other input/pins are fried -- it would be possible to read the code and program new chips.

I just looked at the EC2 source code. Didn't see Dave Baker mentioned in the comments. What's the date and version written on the EB2 box?

Finn
Dear Finn, I bought the engine and ECU from Charles Ainesworth some years ago. the EC2 is Serial #283. Equipped with redundant crank angle sensor. RE: processor damage both chips. No outputs on the ignitor output terminals. I do still have fuel injector pulse on one of the processors. Are the devices “Write Protected”? Does anyone have contact with Tracy Crooks and or someone with the programming software for the EC2 processor chip?

8davebarker

HBA Supporter
Last I heard, SDS will only do injection on a rotary; ignition isn't supported.

Dave,
Did you see the posts on Flyrotary? I think there were a few guys that thought they had spares available. If those fall through, the Megasquirt & Microsquirt series will work with rotaries. There are several others, as well; I think there's a South African model that's very rotary-centric. Tracy has been playing with the Speeduino and last time I talked with him, he was liking what he saw.

Any of the above would obviously be a single-controller; if you want redundancy you'd need a relay board to switch sensors, injectors and coils between two copies (that's how it's done inside the RWS boxes).

Charlie
Dear Charles, can you send me a link to anyone that might be of help in getting replacement EC2 processors. Thanks in advance. Dave Barker

rv7charlie

Dave,

There were several posts on the flyrotary list in response to your request for replacement EC2s. If you didn't get the flyrotary posts, send me a private 'conversation' message & I'll send you the ones I saw. (Don't want to post their contact info here without their permission.)

If you want to get yours repaired, Finn is probably your best bet. He has Tracy's code, docs, and PROM burners, etc needed to flash new EPROMs for the EC2. He is closer, both physically and technically, to Tracy than anyone else you're likely to find.
Slociviccoupe mentioned 3 others, and there's the Link brand
Security Check Required (That link is to their facebook page; I don't know why the forum software altered it. If it doesn't work, just google 'link ecu'.)
though their actual website doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

I have no personal knowledge of any of the other controllers; just accounts from others of their use on rotaries.

AIRCAB

On the bright side, you will be moving away from a very old, un supported controller, and learning a new system that you will understand, and be able to tune and trouble shoot on your laptop, in the plane

NOLA

Would be funny to see a Stack cluster and a quick release yoke hub.

FinnFlyer

EC2 is Serial #283.
I searched some of the source codes for that serial number but didn't find it. Can you give me the latest date and model (two characters like A9) that's written on it?

No, I don;' think the chips are write protected.

Because you are getting some outputs it gives hope that it's just the driver transistors that are damaged and perhaps the input circuit on the controller with no output.

Do you have anybody nearby that can test/fix electronics?

Finn

Attachments

Richard Schubert

If hypothetically this can't be fixed and the decision is made to look elsewhere, perhaps the SDS system, is there a standalone ignition that could be used? It's been a while since I researched this.

rv7charlie

If hypothetically this can't be fixed and the decision is made to look elsewhere, perhaps the SDS system, is there a standalone ignition that could be used? It's been a while since I researched this.
There are numerous methods of doing fixed timing ignition, which isn't as big a penalty on a rotary as a piston engine. But why kludge things together when there are at least 4 or 5 choices for full engine control that are made to work?

rv7charlie

Point taken. :) But kludging two complete controllers means one programming operation, copied once, and one relay board to switch between them.
Using separate injection and ignition controllers means either no optimizing of ignition (I recognize that's not as big a deal on a rotary), or two programming operations, that can't talk to each other/coordinate, two copying operations, three boxes, and you still need to kludge the relay switching for the ignition controllers, and find a way to switch them as you switch fuel controllers (or deal with switching independent of the injection).