Quantcast

12ft ultralight fuselage

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

nestofdragons

A Flying Flea must come awfully close to 12 feet, no?
Flying Flea HM293 is 14 feet long, but if you dismount the rudder (which i used to do on mine (HM14/360)) you get close to 12 feet. Sorry, plans not at hand now. The more retro looking HM14 is with rudder 13 feet. nIn link below you can find pictures of the most known models. By the way ... the plans of HM293 and HM360/380 are free to download in the same site. On other site you can find HM14 plans (also for free since the death of Pierre Mignet, we have permission to spread the plans).

Available models - Nest of Dragons

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think the Airbike would work. Well if you could whittle down the wing span of each panel to 12 feet. The plans have a built in split at the fuselage that would easily let you slide it into your trailer in two pieces. However I think each wing panel is right at 13 feet. I only have plans and pictures to go by.airbike trailer.jpg
In this picture the fuselage could be built to split right where the BRS chute is mounted. I don't see many with the provisions to do it, but it's in the plans. Only other issue is rudder and elevator controls. The Airbike is designed with a push-pull cable for elevator control, personally I would use two tubes with a pivot near this split.

Wings are the challenge. I hauled my Fisher 303 around on a flatbed trailer, it was fine for short hauls but I damaged the wings on a long (2 hour) drive once.

nestofdragons

Folding wings might seem like difficult to make or to use. Well, just watch the last part of this video (4:40). You see how quick the wings are folded on a Flying Flea. 40 seconds !!!!

2020-06-17 pou 02.jpg

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The original Nemesis racer had the fuselage split behind the wing trailing edge. About 12 or 20 flush head machine screws held it together.
Also Race 68. Fun to watch those guys break down and pack up.

nestofdragons

Biplane still needs fuselage and elevator at end. Tandemwing like Flying Flea has all parts closer to each other. Take vertical tail off and you have about 12 feet. And the wings fold ... in 40 seconds. I guess i already placed video with that proof.

Taylor.S

Right that's what i was missing thanks. is there a way you can make a wood and foam airplane have a split fuselage?

WonderousMountain

I like the Biplane proposal, you will get more cord-lengths
out of the 12 foot package and end up looking traditional,
rather than sawn off broomstick.

LuPii

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Fisher 404 biplane fit in a 12' box trailer with the rudder and propeller (and wings, of course!) removed.