100 years of Fournier: a history of aviation’s original ‘green’ promoter

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Here's a neat article in honor of René Fournier's 100th birthday that should appeal to many here interested in motorgliders or low-powered aircraft generally.

EDIT: I have also attached an earlier article on the (sadly stalled and never completed) microlight RF4UL with a converted industrial V-twin engine that is mentioned in the link.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Always wanted a 3 or 4.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
He sure accomplished a lot! I agree with Pops, an RF3 or RF4 would sure be a lot of fun. I imagine that would be just the ticket for hopping from thermal to thermal and generally messing about. That RF7 sounds like a hoot, though!

sming

Apparently stalled for lack of funds and/or lack of participants to cover and finish it. They were all pretty old iirc

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Here's a neat article in honor of René Fournier's 100th birthday
"In his book he pondered: ‘Why were there so many constraints and such crippling rules, and why were they imposed only on certified aircraft? << >>
Now, approaching his hundredth birthday, he has but one regret: that he didn’t emigrate from France to the United States,"

If he had moved I doubt the overall outcome would have been much different. :(

From a bit of searching it appears that his book was self published and for all practical purposes is no longer available? I also found a reference to an electronic version of the the English translation.
Does anyone know of a source?

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I looked around for the book and never found anything like Amazon selling it. One place said one could send a check directly to Mr. Fournier or request an electronic copy from Graham Clark. I do not know who Mr. Clark is, does anyone here? Mr. Fournier apparently is not good about mailing books after receiving payment.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Worldcat says the only library copy is in the Bibliotheque national de France. Hopefully, Matthew will stop by and give it a review LOL

plncraze

HBA Supporter
A fun game to play on this website is to see how long it takes before Mr. Graham appears here. Start your timers LOL

PMD

Here's a neat article in honor of René Fournier's 100th birthday that should appeal to many here interested in motorgliders or low-powered aircraft generally.
30 of what I can guarantee will be the best minutes of my day. Thanks, Matt.

One of my business mentors, and friend/skiing buddy for decades turns 100 this spring. The incredible privilege of having someone with a century of experience in their field is not lost on me.