Quantcast

$10 gallon Avgas

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Daleandee

Corvairs were designed for 87 octane weren't they? Clark's corvair says they'll do fine on ethanol blends too.
Perhaps the original engines were but the conversion changes the cam, compression ratio, and timing curve. My engine calls for 93 octane as a minimum but slight reduction in timing would allow a lower octane. With that I'd have to give up some power (probably in the 2% range).

I believe everything in my system is ethanol resistant but not sure about the carb as it's a Marvel Schebler from an O-200. Besides, I just think it's wise not to put ethanol in my airplane. There may come a day but it ain't here yet.

TXFlyGuy

Besides, I just think it's wise not to put ethanol in my airplane. There may come a day but it ain't here yet.
Check the Van's forum. Many there reporting hundreds and hundreds of trouble free flight hours burning E10. Some even going up into the lower flight levels without issues.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Check the Van's forum. Many there reporting hundreds and hundreds of trouble free flight hours burning E10. Some even going up into the lower flight levels without issues.
And Premium E10 is rated at 93 octane.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Perhaps the original engines were but the conversion changes the cam, compression ratio, and timing curve. My engine calls for 93 octane as a minimum but slight reduction in timing would allow a lower octane. With that I'd have to give up some power (probably in the 2% range).

I believe everything in my system is ethanol resistant but not sure about the carb as it's a Marvel Schebler from an O-200. Besides, I just think it's wise not to put ethanol in my airplane. There may come a day but it ain't here yet.
Well, the cam change is to increase the duration of the valves opening, right? And the compression ratio typically is lower in flight engines, yes? I don't know about the timing curve's effect, but 87 octane E10 gets burned in a tremendous variety of engines, from turbo 4's with relatively high compression, to some pretty big V8's. I see people buying it all the time at the station, in a staggering number of different engine setups with apparently no issues. I get that Corvairs are an old design, but just adding forged pistons and rods and a hotter cam shouldn't preclude running E10. Check with your local Corvair club and see what they run...

Daleandee

I get that Corvairs are an old design, but just adding forged pistons and rods and a hotter cam shouldn't preclude running E10. Check with your local Corvair club and see what they run...
I appreciate what you are saying but I have no intention of ever running ethanol fuel in my airplane unless there is no alternative.

Daleandee

Your airplane. Your money. Your choice. At least for now.
Yes sir you are quite correct. I've heard for a number of years that 100LL is going away ...

A friend used to always say, "Fly! While you can still get gas!"

Reactions: BJC

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I appreciate what you are saying but I have no intention of ever running ethanol fuel in my airplane unless there is no alternative.
100% with you, for what you do with your aircraft. I'm just thinking we'll see an alternative to leaded fuel sooner rather than later. It might even be electricity!

Daleandee

100% with you, for what you do with your aircraft. I'm just thinking we'll see an alternative to leaded fuel sooner rather than later. It might even be electricity!
You may be on to something as we might be flying batteries before they can make a lead free 100 octane fuel available. LOL!