$10 gallon Avgas

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tspear

Supporting Member
Interesting that the MOGAS STC and the new UL STC is a sticker, no mods to aircraft……. I see why buying the MOGAS STC is reasonable, these guys had to jump through FAA hoops to get STC and they realize no additional revenue as you buy UL MOGAS anywhere. The new UL STC cost is relatively cheap, but its only good when buying their gas……seems that would want to hand these STC stickers out like candy on Halloween.
A while back this was asked of George B. at GAMI. His basic answer, the cost of the STC will be on par of the mogas STC, and is mostly focused on covering the cost issuing the STC, and is not priced to recover the R&D costs.

Tim

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Re "nobody has said they're interchangeable". GAMI has said that they are 'fully fungible,' both in the aircraft and in infrastructure. You can mix G100L and 100LL at will.
See: https://gami.com/g100ul/GAMI_Q_and_A.pdf

From the pdf:
Q: Are there any known material compatibility issues in aircraft, engines, storage tanks or transportation systems?
A: After extensive testing, no compatibility issues have been identified in any aircraft, engines, storage tanks or transportation systems. G100UL is a drop-in fuel, fully fungible with 100LL and other aviation gasolines, and ready to be used within the industry’s existing infrastructure.

Q: My airplane has a MoGas STC. Can I mix G100UL avgas with MoGas?
A: Yes. Comingling of G00UL Avgas and other gasolines approved for use in your aircraft is specifically authorized in the limitations section of the STCs.

Q: What changes will I have to make to my engine to use G100UL avgas?
A: Other than placards, no modifications are required. A small placard is attached to the engine and “stick-on” placards are applied to refueling ports. In addition, there is a short AFMS supplement added to the AFM or POH.
Fully fungible isn’t the same as interchangeable if you don’t have the STC. The point is if the FBO wanted to get rid of his leaded fuel by dilution, the only people who can burn the mixed fuel are ones who have the STC.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think G100UL is available anywhere yet. Swiftfuel's 94UL has been out for a few years now with limited distribution; I bought some a few weeks ago on a cross country.

skydawg

AVGAS is over $8/gal now at my airport. I fill my exp c172 with cheapest ethanol car gas from gas station across the street, for about $3.60/gal using a 12V pump to transfer directly from my SUV to plane (got it from a farm supply store and works great). Most of my neighbors fly about 30-45 min to another airport with a self serve pump to save about $2. per gallon, but they say it’s not much of a savings considering the flight time to/fro. It cost me about $28/hr to fly our exp c172 (gas, engine reserves, oil) and over $90/hr according to our c172 tie down neighbor….. I can see why many of the actively used planes on the ramp seldom move now.

was in California this week and local GA owners are being told AVGAS will likely be eliminated within 8-12 months from their airport regardless of new fuel availability. A guy with a Bonanza in San Diego is checking if it may be worth short flight to Mexico airport to fill up. Another guy sold his plane simply because it was just too expensive to fly and claims new fuel will be over $9/gal and wanted to beat the rush of many others putting their planes on the market.

I remember the 2008 recession and financial correction and aircraft, especially twins, values got hammered. Buddy bought a nice Aerostar for half the value it was listed for just months earlier. California is the biggest GA market in the world and other states will likely follow the AVGAS elimination stand now with a certified alternative.

I think best advice is to buy aircraft with MOGAS STC

I will be looking for a good steal of a deal for a c414 that I can install V8 engines on.

Daleandee

AVGAS is over $8/gal now at my airport. I fill my exp c172 with cheapest ethanol car gas from gas station across the street, for about $3.60/gal using a 12V pump to transfer directly from my SUV to plane (got it from a farm supply store and works great). Most of my neighbors fly about 30-45 min to another airport with a self serve pump to save about $2. per gallon, but they say it’s not much of a savings considering the flight time to/fro. It cost me about $28/hr to fly our exp c172 (gas, engine reserves, oil) and over $90/hr according to our c172 tie down neighbor….. I can see why many of the actively used planes on the ramp seldom move now.

I've been running as little 100LL as possible but we have a nearby airport currently selling 100LL @ $5.95.

It's a bit further for me to fly but I wanted to check out the Mogas at another airport. They are selling 93 oct, which is the minimum for my engine but the price was higher than the the 100LL they had! That airport is currently at $6.22 for 100LL & $6.30 for 93 ethanol free Mogas. I bought 10 gallons of the Mogas to see how my engine (3.0 Corvair) would like it. It liked it a lot but I can't do that much money for their Mogas.

So I go into town and get 90 E-Free Mogas from a service station and it's usually less than $4.00 a gallon. I then mix a bit of 100LL to bring the rating up to what I need. I also use Decalin to help with the lead.

Pops

Supporting Member
Local store about 2 miles away has 91 oct E-free Mogas for $5.26 a gallon. Its that or 100 LL for $7.00 a gallon at an airport about 25miles away by airplane.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Local store about 2 miles away has 91 oct E-free Mogas for $5.26 a gallon. Its that or 100 LL for $7.00 a gallon at an airport about 25miles away by airplane.
Wow, Our ethanol free 91 is just under $4/gal. Lucky to be right in the middle of the country, got the best coverage by pipelines, and close-ish to a few refineries, so price is always below the national average.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
100LL is currently $6.75 at my home field. Can't get E-free mogas in CT. 70 miles away in MA they have Swiftfuel's 94UL for $5.30, 100LL there is $6.00.

skydawg

my airport had 90UL while a flight school had a couple of LSA planes but it was almost as much as avgas.

we modified the c172 system for ethanol and use regular car gas. Some airports have car gas on field to support ground equipment but you may not be able to plane close enough to pump directly and require a couple of gas cans. when needed, we use avgas but go from 200 hr oil changes to 50 hr, and have to do a runup. I have seen some EXP guys carry collapsible cans which is way more practical than hard plastic cans.

TXFlyGuy

With my C-172, just loaded up a bunch of 5 gallon cans in the truck and took a ladder with me to the airport. Siphoned the fuel into the wing tanks. No big deal...except lifting the 5 gallon cans to the top of the wing.

Cardmarc

Do you certified airplane guys using auto fuel have the Peterson STC in your logbooks?
100LL is $4.90 gal here currently in TX at KWSI.

skydawg

a note about 12V fuel transfers pumps…… most less expensive pumps are rated only for diesel, not gasoline. This is because of gasoline vapors are the real danger and the pump electrical elements needs to be sealed to prevent any arching from igniting fumes. I didn’t think it’s huge concern as I have seen many use diesel pumps to transfer gas, but something worth considering.

Daleandee

Seems like you can't get a break up that way. Might have to start brewing your own ethanol fuel ... ;)