10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Hasn't just about every flight been an in-flight emergency? Instead of doing what you recommended his plan is to run the engine on the ground and listen for funny noises. The failure of the turbo probably did not make a funny noise so as he says "he's good with it".
There are different magnitudes to emergencies based upon likely losses.
  1. Loss of an airframe flight surface is a higher magnitude emergency than total loss of power;
  2. Total loss of power is a higher magnitude emergency than partial loss of power;
  3. Partial loss of power is a higher magnitude emergency than overheat without loss of power;
And so on. I was not talking about landing due imminent overheat...

Billski

flywheel1935

PM Quote " You can see how clean it is"
His definition of 'clean' probably matches his warped thoughts when it comes to numbers ????
And there were YT comments ref the state of the engine oil, I just feel "He Doesn't Get It",
It's not going to end well, & my £5 is the squeal came from the Re-Drive/Prop ???

Rataplan

PM Quote " You can see how clean it is"
His definition of 'clean' probably matches his warped thoughts when it comes to numbers ????
And there were YT comments ref the state of the engine oil, I just feel "He Doesn't Get It",
It's not going to end well, & my £5 is the squeal came from the Re-Drive/Prop ???
Could be certainly seen the oil spill from the Re-Drive/Prop. I'm not an engine man but i would have put the engine on a test stand and torture it for ,just as example, 10 hours without break. and have the oil analysed before and after.

don january

Log Member
It was crazy when he said he was going to block off the oil cooler for test running the engine until he found a new cooler. Seams to me that cooler is needed from start up to shut down for a number of reasons. also the oil stains behind prop would really get my fear -dar on alert.

rv6ejguy

Could be certainly seen the oil spill from the Re-Drive/Prop. I'm not an engine man but i would have put the engine on a test stand and torture it for ,just as example, 10 hours without break. and have the oil analysed before and after.
He did a lot a running on a test stand but mostly not at high power settings.

rv6ejguy

With this new engine?
No, with the original one. You're taking your chances installing a junkyard engine without a teardown. This one seems to sound different and exhibit different vibration characteristics. The questions would be why? Not good to find out in the air if it's something serious which could be discovered on the ground first.

Rataplan

No, with the original one. You're taking your chances installing a junkyard engine without a teardown. This one seems to sound different and exhibit different vibration characteristics. The questions wo uld be why? Not good to find out in the air if it's something serious which could be discovered on the ground first.
I mean the new engine, you can take the chance when you have a car but for a plane IMHO this engine should be seen as basis and undergo a tear down. Not just checking the compression
I also noticed the vibrations at certain rpms , heard the sound and did see the oil spill from the redrive , hear PM;s comment about the turbo its just some dirt from the engine... And think from marketing point of view , take off the wings and transform it in a very luxury swap boat with AC plasma screens surround sound etc. Would be an hit also as taxi or for tourists tours to watch crocodiles in Florida. And who in Florida wouldnt want to have such a comfortable boat ? If as plane it cost 130.000 $ than without wings it could be sold for 70.000 $ .

flywheel1935

As I understand the engine came from a front end crash, so it's possible that it could have suffered from rapid deceleration, a Q7 can take a lot of energy to stop. think there longitudinal? so crank could have thrust bearing/oil seal damage, just a thought

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Did anyone else see the big old oil leak coming out of the redrive bearing or output shaft housing at about the 7:15 mark?

If that is a NEW leak, I suspect he has a serious problem.

If that is an OLD leak, it means he HAD a serious problem and didn't even wipe off the oil, much less take the pieces apart to see what's leaking.

But if that large aluminum housing or the round piece above it is part of the rotating components of the engine (I suspect so), then the oil would have been thrown outward whenever it was moving, and the vertical dripping i n the video would be fresh.

malte

Makes good business sense.
So does listening to experts advice (especially if they come from verified experts and are for free, as here on HBA.

As I understand the engine came from a front end crash
What the actual f...reak is he thinking?

On the video:
I, too, did not recall the transient vibration of the wings while revving up the engine. This can have two main sources: different excitation by the engine or different Eigenfrequency of the structure. Both seems possible, although the differing excitation is more probable. I would strongly advise against an attempt to fly this aircraft. (Not that I would have promoted doing so before the incident).