10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv6ejguy

PM doesn't have enough experience with engines to be able to to make a probable failure diagnosis even if he dismantled the engine but at least others could see and comment. As with the rest of the project, he often jumps to conclusions without facts and doesn't learn as much as he could from failures to develop proper fixes the second time around.

Considering he's waiting for the new engine, he could certainly spare 60 minutes to whip the pan and one head off to possibly learn something important.

Rataplan

Not one of those... points has any relevance on your commenting about another users post being the "most ridiculous of 2021".

What is your engineering background in composites?
Well the remark the wing didn't touch the runway because the fence touched the runway is weird.
It is true the wing skin didn't touch the runway. The impact caused the fence to bend over about I guess 60 degrees inward to become parallel with the runway ( clearly shown on the other side where you see a clear 'break line' , I hope you have seen that side ) To cause this damage a certain force is needed , which can be calculated if you know the dimensions and construction of this carbon part . After this damage the paint just rubbed of the left side of the bent fence for which no much force is needed. The force which should be taken in to calculation is not this force which rubbed of the paint but the initial force which caused the fence to break/bend at first place.

About the second remark, If two people on the other side of the world make the same conclusion at the same time is enough as proof the harm isnt that much lets replace all JARs and FARs with that new rule , perhaps for commercial planes we could demand three persons makes the same conclusion at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geraldc

About the second remark, If two people on the other side of the world make the same conclusion at the same time is enough as proof the harm isnt that much lets replace all JARs and FARs with that new rule , perhaps for commercial planes we could demand three persons makes the same conclusion at the same time.
What are the odds again of 2 people on directly opposite sides of the world posting the same thing at exactly the same time?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Everyone that wrenches on cars uses surgical gloves now. I keep several hundred in both my shops. It's the new world. Everyone seems to be ditching their air tools for electric now too.
I'm not a borg, don't live in a hive. I don't do things because someone else is doing it. You can live in your world, and I will live in my world.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Not sure if insurance has been discussed. Would Raptor and other Experimental-Research airplanes like the Raptor qualify for hull insurance?
And would a hundred thousand dollar and up kit buyer expect to have hull insurance? Would a diesel auto engine qualify for insurance?

Jet787

He did do sand bag tests right??
It would be negligent or incompetence to not test the wing spar Imo. Certainly any reputable Director of Engineering would have done a sand bag test of the wing spar. I didn’t see it in any of the videos maybe it was left out. Wasn’t Jeff Kerlo Director of Engineering? We could ask him.

TFF

Right now insurance is in such flux, that the question not answerable. You will get the runaround. The agent who use to handle the company I worked for pretty much only get complaint phone calls for either hikes in rates or drops from age. You do not want to be in the aviation insurance business right now.

Testing the structure of a homebuilt or research is not required. Might be smart, might be informative, but not required. I imagine lots of info is only released to be positive . The structure may have had at least a flashlight inspection, which is about all an airliner would get with a hard landing without physical damage. Damage would turn that a different direction. Positive vibes. Everything is not shown for sure.

rv6ejguy

It would be negligent or incompetence to not test the wing spar Imo. Certainly any reputable Director of Engineering would have done a sand bag test of the wing spar. I didn’t see it in any of the videos maybe it was left out. Wasn’t Jeff Kerlo Director of Engineering? We could ask him.
No sand bag tests done and Jeff's advice was ignored on almost every detail of the design. D of E only in title. I talked to Jeff at Reno in 2019 about Raptor..

ImperfectSense

Everything is not shown for sure.
Aside from the fact that a 10-20 minute video usually covers a day or two of activity on the project, so the usual video editing time compression, what is your basis for saying that significant work or events have been left out of the YouTube videos? Do you have specific examples of work (like a sandbag test) that you know was carried out but never shown or discussed?

5761RF

Aside from the fact that a 10-20 minute video usually covers a day or two of activity on the project, so the usual video editing time compression, what is your basis for saying that significant work or events have been left out of the YouTube videos? Do you have specific examples of work (like a sandbag test) that you know was carried out but never shown or discussed?
I suppose this could mean all of the V speed tests and other examinations of the Raptor's flight envelope that have been the subject of much discussion here were actually performed and recorded in Muller's extensive testing logs. Maybe he just decided not to include them on the videos.

PPLOnly

I suppose this could mean all of the V speed tests and other examinations of the Raptor's flight envelope that have been the subject of much discussion here were actually performed and recorded in Muller's extensive testing logs. Maybe he just decided not to include them on the videos.
I don't know what you're talking about. Every flight we see him edging to expand the flight envelope. He's answered all kinds of burning questions like:

1. How much cabin heat do I need to select for initial climb to pattern altitude?
2. Does the autopilot work even if the pitot system doesn't?
3. Is my approach flatter and longer than the space shuttle?

malte

Aside from the fact that a 10-20 minute video usually covers a day or two of activity on the project, so the usual video editing time compression, what is your basis for saying that significant work or events have been left out of the YouTube videos?
Knowing the self-portrayal marketing content of the Raptor videos, would you suggest that PM would conceal something with such a public effect than a passed sand-bag stress test of the structure? These are THE publicity ground tests number one. Much other stuff he has shown is boring in comparison, including taping aluminium panels over the wheel well because he has no idea of how fluid mechanics work.

flywheel1935

I think it was Oscar Wilde who once said; The only thing worse than being talked about, was not being talked about !!!!!
The only thing worse than seeing the Raptor YT Channel, is not seeing the Raptor YT Channel !!!!
Wonder if PM ever pulled the old motor apart ? Will we ever know !!!! :pilot: 🍋