Quantcast

10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
...Beyond that, Raptor remains a fascinating topic from a psychological and sociological perspective. But that falls outside the bounds of homebuilt airplane discussion, and we would probably do well to limit our forays into that realm...
While I agree that much of this is true - these threads have gone way off the rails in many areas - I continue to point out that the psychological and human factors issues related to flight testing is very much relevant to our forum. There was a fairly recent fatal RV-10 crash that came to prominence due in no small part to errily similar mechanical integration and human factors issues. Thats but one of many easily avoided tragic accidents in our community.

I'm all for keeping this forum on track, but I can tell you that "big aerospace" flight test departments spend as much time focusing on human factors and behavioral issues as we do hardware. There is plenty to learn here.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Today my racer friend told me that Audi was racing diesels in the 80’S, I think he said. He said Audi won most of the races and got bored and quit the racing. He said the race support team was 1500 people.

rv6ejguy

Only because fuel limits effectively excluded spark ignition engines. Otherwise diesels don't stand a chance in racing with equal displacement. Never have, never will because it's physically impossible for them to make competitive hp. Audi did do a very good job competing against diesels from other companies however.

pictsidhe

Banned
The Raptor website has been purged of all the old 'information'. Just a few static photos and the inflight rendering there now.

flywheel1935

Strikes me that as the Raptor cant meet the "predicted"spec, the New website will soon show the "revised" spec. Or simply fade into oblivion along with so many other cutting edge projects ???

Steve C

Whats the pressure like under the canard? I'm thinking it might not be a good place for a cooling exit.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I suppose the exposed foam core will be glassed over, but he didn't say.
Looks like YouTube comments is closed.

rbarnes

He mentioned attaching the scoop with bolts and putting silicon around the inside to seal it.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
He mentioned attaching the scoop with bolts and putting silicon around the inside to seal it.
The open edge of the core needs to be potted or closed with a structural Z or U section to join the inner and outer skins. Then the scoop is bolted on.
I would never get silicone in the shop.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
I suppose the exposed foam core will be glassed over, but he didn't say.
Looks like YouTube comments is closed.
That's really what you want to do for something like this. You'd want to bevel the foam back to like 30 degrees and then close the two skins together with bias tape equal to the thickness of at least the thinner of the two skins. For places where that's not practical, you can scrape out the foam between the two skins and fill the void with epoxy/flox mixture.

Yeah, that's odd. There's a whole mantra of how silicone gets into the matrix and inhibits bonding for forever. But in my shop we've found that even silicone brake fluid can be cleaned off with acetone and sanding to get a good bond. Even so, in this application I would have potted the scoop into place with flox and then just added a ply or two of backup tape. If I wanted it removable, I probably would have waxed it, potted it in with flox, and then used a few small screws or rivets distributed around the perimeter to secure it. In terms of mass per unit strength, the epoxy bonding paste is much more effective than hardware.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
But he does not like working with composites. You can hear him make a comment to this end in the latest video.

Speedboat100

I wonder is he able to make all these adjustments easy in the production model...now all seems very complicated. Let's hope so.

flywheel1935

I wonder is he able to make all these adjustments easy in the production model...now all seems very complicated. Let's hope so.
I would like to think that for any "Production Model" that the cooling issue would be resolved permanently by a redesign of the radiator, H/Ex combo .
Even going to the point of a belly scoop rather than the 'top' scoop.