10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINGITIS

That is a triumph of imagination over adversity!

I wonder if all the corn alcohol helped convince him to go with the other hardest propulsion mode to get right(Ducted fans)

Along with a "small" battery, in case the generator fails........as his predication states.

Will it be able to fly with just one of the fan units, that would enhance the failure mode options, perhaps that is the focus!

Another year of torture, I cannot bear it. Surely its too soon for him to make such a strategic decision, where are the learning's coming into this design...

They are not!

Effectively that has also got BIPLANE mode issues.

Last edited:

WINGITIS

ScaleBirdsScott

I haven't been to worried about this thread but while the original Raptor looks at least fairly decent, this new wing setup looks like something from a bootleg Star Wars. Not a way to get by on good looks IMO.

When y'all first mentioned it I started imagining a Raptor with Synergy's wings and that would indeed look rad. But nope.

ImperfectSense

So basically he's talking about a small gasoline or diesel engine driving an electric generator, a small battery pack, and a pair of self-contained electric ducted fans? And he thinks that will be lighter than an Audi diesel engine plus a redrive and a propeller, and will have a ton more thrust? Or... just a ton more thrust than he managed to get from his Audi?

edwisch

The best part of this discussion is that I've discovered that there is an Ignore feature on this site. Won't have to look at posts from the self-righteous and outraged any more.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Did he say the ducted fan allows for increased prop clearance, or increased crop clearance?

Seriously, though, I’ve tried to hold off from ragging on the chap needlessly (other than maybe a cheap combine harvester crack in a moment of weakness) but the Raptor NG announcement comes across like NASA announcing a new and improved design for a Mars mission right on the heels of the first Atlas mishap.

If I were in Mr.Muller’s shoes, I’d take to heart @bwainfan’s Seven Deadly Sins of Aircraft Design and maybe review the FAA’s five hazardous attitudes. Some guy named Harry had something to say about the subject, too.

For the sensitive types among us, I hope that comes across as common sense and not self-righteousness. We all want to see the advancement of experimental aviation but this is hard to swallow.

BJC

Supporting Member
The prototype Raptor, a 5 seat aircraft designed to cruise at 300 knots for 3,600 nm at 25,000 feet... “ .. was at 1,000 AGL [less than 2,000 MSL] ... no passengers ... was heavy ... was 78 degrees F ... struggling along the way ... wasn’t able to climb as much as I wanted to ... “

Now we are introduced to the next generation Raptor, which will solve all the problems of the prototype through the magic of electric propulsion.

No thank you.

BJC

WINGITIS

Indeed, it's my signature block. :)
Sorry, I haven't shared my reflexed airfoils, they're 'top secret' stuff for now!
YEAH, I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING IS "SECRET" IN TIMERS!!! :cool:

Just post the Polars without showing the airfoil! RN 3,000,000 Mach 0.15 No trips. I see you already know XFLR5.

That is the way to do it...

Can you simulate the General Dynamics F-111 mini canards?

You could have helped with the Raptor......all the PIO...

Predicted the poor performance etc etc.

Great website by the way.

I know you were bonded to your captain at birth, but would you be attending Omaka by any chance?

Kevin

Last edited:

Voidhawk9

Supporting Member
Just post the Polars without showing the airfoil! RN 3,000,000 Mach 0.15 No trips. I see you already know XFLR5.
I'll see if I can dig them up, then.

Can you simulate the General Dynamics F-111 mini canards?
F-111s don't have canards?

You could have helped with the Raptor......all the PIO...
I did offer. No response.

I know you were bonded to your captain at birth, but would you be attending Omaka by any chance?
Not sure what the first part means, but hopefully yes to the latter, for one day. Else I'm much closer to Wanaka for 2022.

flywheel1935

So the new cRaptor NG is designed for somebody to build, that 'could'? have a problem putting together an IKEA cabinet (FFS).
Having already walked away unskaithed from a potentialy life threatening/life ending crash, I would be looking to have a quiet beer and reflect on whether the Aviation Business is really for PM.

WINGITIS

I'll see if I can dig them up, then.

F-111s don't have canards?

I did offer. No response.

Not sure what the first part means, but hopefully yes to the latter, for one day. Else I'm much closer to Wanaka for 2022.
Ok Good, I look forward to seeing them.

YES THEY DO(ATTACHED)

Its a Voidhawk thing.......I though you would know about the bonding, perhaps it did not happen to you, because your in Timaru....BIT OF A WORRY:oops:

Ok perhaps we could meet there then. I have not sorted the final schedule yet, do you have a preference for day, Ill send you a Private message.

unnamedf111.png

Perhaps a better shot taken near one of my now three local airports in 2008, I am currently in BALMY PALMY.

Four of Boeing's P8 POSIEDONS TO BE STATIONED AT OHAKEA FROM NEXT YEAR.

lots of building and cloaking work going on there at present.

f111 2008 Ohakea.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.