10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Was it mechanical or weather, I wonder. Looks like a fine place to land in any case - as far as off airport situations go anyway.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Was it mechanical or weather, I wonder. Looks like a fine place to land in any case - as far as off airport situations go anyway.
Maybe near the proverbial "Kansas farmhouse." If so, I'll bet he gets all the help he needs. And, this could be a good spot to disassemble the plane and put it on a truck for onward movement to his destination. It's sure a lot better than a hillside in Idaho.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
A new belt and fly it out? Power loss is not a reportable event. The sheriff may have called the FAA but no need to visit if not damaged, I suppose.

JMRobins1

From Peters comment section of his last video posted on YouTube.

I'm fine. The aircraft is down in a corn field. We're working on the logistics of getting it out and on a truck. The redrive had some kind of problem that I had not experienced before. Need more investigation to find out why but in the grand scheme we weren't planning on using that design going forward anyway. A bit of a set back but you know me well enough by now to know that I'll keep pushing on with the program.

Peevee

That engine is pretty reliable. I'd be surprised if it quit on him. I can't even type that with a straight face. Are there any designs from the prototype that actually works and will get reused?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I'm not religious by any means, but there's an old saying that goes back long before I was ever around: "God watches over fools and pilots".

Being a smart-a$$, I always add "often both at the same time". I'm usually talking about myself, but in this case that old saying may have additional meaning.

PPLOnly

From Peters comment section of his last video posted on YouTube.

I'm fine. The aircraft is down in a corn field. We're working on the logistics of getting it out and on a truck. The redrive had some kind of problem that I had not experienced before. Need more investigation to find out why but in the grand scheme we weren't planning on using that design going forward anyway. A bit of a set back but you know me well enough by now to know that I'll keep pushing on with the program.
He’s got the best bad luck of anyone I know of.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The corn at this stage would be like getting pounded with a bar of soap in a sock. 1,000,000 x
One of the really durable memories from a soaring contest in Texas 35 years ago was flying in a thermal and seeing dried ears of corn that had been picked up by the dust devils flying by the canopy. It seemed like there would be this huge impact from a pound chunk of corn, and it just wafted by the canopy like a leaf. The idea of thermals strong enough to lift the corn up 3 or 4 thousand feet above the ground sounded like a Tall Texas Tale, but... I seen it with my own eyes Uncle Joe!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
One of the really durable memories from a soaring contest in Texas 35 years ago was flying in a thermal and seeing dried ears of corn that had been picked up by the dust devils flying by the canopy. It seemed like there would be this huge impact from a pound chunk of corn, and it just wafted by the canopy like a leaf. The idea of thermals strong enough to lift the corn up 3 or 4 thousand feet above the ground sounded like a Tall Texas Tale, but... I seen it with my own eyes Uncle Joe!
I have posted this before. In 1995 I was ferrying an airplane for the new owner and over IA on a real bumpy day and it looked like a huge flock of birds ahead. Then corn stalks started flying by and me trying to dodge them. Yep, you are right.

flywheel1935

Raptor Aircraft

23 minutes ago
After investigation it turns out that the stake washer that locks the stake nut on the prop shaft failed. 40 hours of flying time ago I reassembled that using unused tabs on the washer and it had no play. I'm guessing it was just a poor design and as I said we're not using it going forward. Once the nut came loose the play in the shaft allowed the belts to jump on the pulleys and that was game over.

I'm guessing its poor design !!!!! mild understatement????

Status
Not open for further replies.