10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I shot a few pictures through a chain-link fence. We stepped inside the Scaled office and I asked to see their PR person.
Not related to the thread subject (Raptor), but I had something similar happen at Mojave when the McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 propfan was being tested. I was walking down the ramp taking pictures when I saw it parked there. The security guard quickly headed me off before I could approach and said that photos of the plane were not allowed. He was very adamant about that, but more than happy to let me approach and take photos when I asked if I could take pictures of him in front of the plane.

Last edited:

PPLOnly

So Oshkosh is over, PM is probably headed back to his hilltop banjo-retreat. Let's hope he starts his cross country and isn't waiting for fall temperatures.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Let's hope he starts his cross country and isn't waiting for fall temperatures.
I'm hoping he flies using whatever time and route is safest, or that he puts it on a trailer. Is there some rush? Folks can't wait for his next video?

Last edited:

Peevee

Is it just me that thinks darkaero is progressing incredibly slowly for the number of full time people working on it?

foolonthehill

HBA Supporter
I usually don't post here, just occasionally listen in, because it gets too depressing to think that there are so many keyboard commandos in aviation; what with some of the posts I see on this forum.
But I can say this with certainty: Peter has sold the Raptor and all data pertaining to it to someone, and he has actually started writing checks to those who placed deposits. That much I know for a fact, I watched him do it at Osh.
So for those keyboard commandos on here, let me clarify: Point one, just because you might know someone who placed a deposit and didn't already get a check, that doesn't mean Peter screwed him, it just means that not everyone is getting one right away until the complete transaction is accomplished. Point two, there are undoubtably some people out there who will claim they put deposits down who did not, just so they can validate their importance in the overall brutalization of this guy and his aircraft. Point three, Peter apparently finally did realize that he couldn't get where he wanted with this aircraft, ran out of money or for whatever reason, and someone likely approached him that had the resources and confidence that the project has some potential. So Peter took longer than many would have liked to quit. How many unfinished projects do those detractors have sitting at home?
I'm sure some others here will have more to say. For me, the first time I looked at his web page some years ago, I just laughed. Kinda cool looking, but not my cup of tea, and his claims were outrageous. So I'm certainly not some Peter or Raptor fanboy. But some of you guys with your comments; you should be ashamed of yourselves, if shame were a part of anyone's psyche anymore.

PPLOnly

To me, anyone buying into a development project like this 100% knows what they’re getting into and therefore can’t be “scammed” unless their money wasn’t spent at all on development. So by that measure he didn’t scam anyone, he really did build an aircraft with the stated goals in mind and it’s good to hear he’s squaring up with people, though I don’t think he’s required to do that IMO. This is no different than buying into a Kickstarter based on nothing but a drawing and a couple of powerpoints, you’re taking the gamble in order to be first in line and involved.

flywheel1935

I think PM's problem was he was almost sidetracked by making the YT videos, and while making basic engineering mistakes, he highlighted his lack of skill set in the mechanical engineering world. If you are vain enough to say to the world 'look how clever I am' then you must expect getting criticism when you are actually 'not very good at your job'. The old saying was live by the sword, die by the sword. Now with 'social media' so powerful, the new phrase should be 'live by the Video, die by the video' !!! The skies over Western America are now safe (in the short term) from having rouge bits of carbon fibre raining down on its populus.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I remember all the vile words directed at Jim Bede after the BD-5 fiasco. Years later, I met Jim, and found him to be a decent, self-aware, likable person.

Perhaps Peter, after a period of self-reflection, will grow as a designer and have future success.

BJC

PS: I looked at the propeller driven BD-5’s displayed at Oshkosh last week. I don’t know how they fly, but they sure are attractive airplanes.

HomeBuilt101

Does anyone know if the Raptor has made it safely to its new home?

One point that I have not seen brought up here (or the last thread) is the monetization he made with his YouTube channel. How much money was sent to him each month by all of us watching his Truman Show twice a week...that could have assisted him with some ongoing expenses.

It would be very interesting to see who the buyers are and how much experience they have with kit airplane development, production, sales, and support.

Is PM going to continue to be involved in the project?

Additionally I would love to see what changes in the original design they plan on making and how much of the original molds will still be applicable. As an example, lets say that they decide to keep the basic shape of it the same but get rid of the need for pressurization, the air-conditioning, car heater core, long tubes for the coolant, three radiators, two turbochargers, etc...would any of the fuselage molds still be adapted to the thinner fuselage sidewalls and windows? I bet the wings and canard molds would still work.

I cant wait to start watching the new owners YouTube channel!!!

Deuelly

Log Member
One point that I have not seen brought up here (or the last thread) is the monetization he made with his YouTube channel. How much money was sent to him each month by all of us watching his Truman Show twice a week...that could have assisted him with some ongoing expenses.
It looks like at the most he might have made around $2,500 a year, but I would imagine less.

Brandon

Martin W

It looks like at the most he might have made around $2,500 a year, but I would imagine less.

Brandon
Yes .... It does not add up to much .... often just pennies a click .... 1000 video views could earn maybe $10 .... but the payment system can be convoluted .... some browsers disable the ads .... Microsoft gives the option to "skip ad" after the first 10 seconds .... no payment for those.

In many ways it has ruined YouTube .... millions of people hoping to make millions of dollars publish millions of videos full of absolute nonsense and fake headlines just to get clicks .

I am not against advertising per say .... if someone spends time producing a quality video they should be rewarded ........ as should YouTube for providing the platform .... it is weeding through the junk I dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.