10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
You don't want to know how much I pay to heat rectangles under roofs in the northeast. Can I build a pipeline?

Build whatever you want, heat it for free, your own strip, hardly any taxes and no one bothering you, garden full of food, hunt for the rest.

I think you might live in Shangri La.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
You can see it on a short final I am sure. I live at a ski area in Vermont. Have giant shops, nice airplane projects to work on and I thought I was living in paradise. Have a nice 3000' paved runway at one of my shops and a giant hangar. But the propane bill would buckle a normal human. And the tax bill. That makes the propane build look like child's play. ACK! But somehow I manage.

231TC

Maybe looking for pieces that fell off Raptor. But probably unrelated. People who live at airparks often fly circles near the field.

I'm curious if he got his radius moved to 2A2 or if he has some other status now, but not enough to give $10 to the FAA to find out.

231TC

FlightAware data isn't the most accurate in certain places and that appears to be one of them. They miss some blips and just fill in the gaps with approximations or something.

231TC

I'm impressed that it has gone as well as it has, but making the trip is still insanity in my book. Bad judgment kills more of us than mechanical problems and poor skills, and trying that trip with that aircraft is extremely ill advised.

It was a terrible idea to me when I thought he would take the southern route to the west coast. The northern route is far more challenging with even less margin. Weaving his way through the mountains in Montana will be quite dicey. I hope his luck continues to hold up.

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
A few takeaways from this vid:

Sounds like the new company will be refunding the $20K deposit holders but their place for a kit will be held if I heard this right. This will take the heat off PM and new company to deliver anything in the short term (which they can't) and allow them to change the design in any way they see fit for their new vision of Raptor. If you don't like that vision or don't want to wait, you are not out anything. That will make some happy.

Also sounds like he'll be loading Raptor to the gunwales and heading over high terrain to the NW. His statement about having lots of power but then saying the problem in using it is to keep it cool is puzzling. You don't have a lot of power for long if you can't keep it cool . If he's never flown in the mountains, he has no idea of what he's getting into. Descending air can EASILY exceed the ROC that RAPTOR has demonstrated when lightly loaded. He's also never flow high at higher weights as should have been accomplished during flight testing.

His statement about not worrying about stalling Raptor is also puzzling. He's never tested what happens at minimum speed to know...

Again, I wish him a safe journey but this plan seems ill advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.