10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rataplan

I haven't seen anything to change my mind. If he had made that flight non-stop, at altitude, somewhere near 200kts things would be different.
I still suspect him he put his ads in a 40 year old PA28 while a truck takes the raptor to its destination by road

WINGITIS

Being Australian and in Asia, I only know metric, so how close is 3,700 ft and 127kts to the advertised 27,000 ft and 300kts?

Pretty darn close I gather from your excitement ...
I think you have to adjust for the Latitude down here, we live on a sphere after all......

But no that is not the large discrepancy we are looking for either....maximum of nearly 6,378 km (3,963 mi) to a minimum of nearly 6,357 km (3,950 mi).

So that would leave the air its breathing at Valdosta or the fact that it is white!

I believe some elephants are white......:oops:

The Wiki explanation for those seems appropriate as a summary of most all the posts here...

The Lilium is also white and has been following a similar, but enhanced, development, test and business plan model......

They will even get to LIST first, but the doubts about ACTUALITY are also there....

The Blackfly is black and white and at least the physics add up to the performance/thrust of their motors, BUT even they have slowed down their sales DREAMS.

Perhaps Prototypes should be RED or YELLOW.......

Last edited:

WINGITIS

Blackfly data in case anyone is interested.

They claim a thrust per motor of 130, 120 on their current website, but the video data they show in an actual test is 109 so that is what I used.

Despite the fact it clearly works they are VERY RELUCTANT to get people in them and show them, except stationary at Oshkosh.

Doors would be nice as well, which I told them.....

Attachments

Jsample40

My money's on Fort Smith for a comfort break.
Guess we may well have to reconsider our view on the project, just shame PM doesn't really 'engage' with the HBA members !!!!
W
My money's on Fort Smith for a comfort break.
Guess we may well have to reconsider our view on the project, just shame PM doesn't really 'engage' with the HBA members !!!!
Why in the world would anyone from the Raptor group (especially Peter) "Engage" with those suppressive members of the HBA whose joy in life is to "make themselves right, by making others WRONG????" Your greatest joy appears to be finding fault with even the slightest issue. Sad....
Disrespectfully,
Jay W. Sample

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Why in the world would anyone from the Raptor group (especially Peter) "Engage" with those suppressive members of the HBA whose joy in life is to "make themselves right, by making others WRONG????" Your greatest joy appears to be finding fault with even the slightest issue. Sad....
Disrespectfully,
Jay W. Sample
Not at all what has happened here, Jay (for the most part - there are exceptions that have generally been removed, and rightly so). If you have actualkly been reading it objectively you would clearly see that.
Your disrespect is therefore laughable and meaningless here.

cheapracer

Log Member
Why in the world would anyone from the Raptor group (especially Peter) "Engage" with those suppressive members of the HBA whose joy in life is to "make themselves right, by making others WRONG????"
Umm, no one here made Raptor "wrong", one guy successfully succeeded that all by himself, entirely without HBA's assistance .....

As for "suppression", I offer you those famous words of William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Henry James, "Dear Abbey" and the other great writers, re:

"He started it".

Rik-

Umm, no one here made Raptor "wrong", one guy successfully succeeded that all by himself, entirely without HBA's assistance .....

As for "suppression", I offer you those famous words of William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Henry James, "Dear Abbey" and the other great writers, re:

"He started it".

I think your misplacing a quote. Rather you needed to use the one about why men climb a mountain as it's the same reason so many are against Peter. "because it's there"

I've yet to see Peter come onto the boards and interact so he hasn't started anything in that regards. He has done, one cannot deny his accomplishments, flown a plane with more or less what he said he would fly it with, an Audi V6 Diesel car engine that has in fact (nearly on the second one) flown 40 hrs when no one on here, including every expert, predicted it would not get off the ground and make a circuit safely. (First engine was not an engine failure issue rather a rigging issue that lead to it's failure which in its self can be said is a F'up from Peter).

Had the Raptor sales pitch been "we are building a plane that can cruise at 125 mph at 3500' AGL then Peter would look like a genius, therefore I say that Peter should merely change his expectation to his reality and he will be spot on.

WINGITIS

Pretty much I think this Forum has done what it is meant to!

It has provided feedback for Peter(if he reads it) on the good, bad and indifferent from a VERY WIDE range of peoples views and experiences.

You cannot get better than that as input to how your endeavors are going, from either a technical, safety or marketing perspective.

Peoples views here may have indeed helped him in ways we will never know, he may have picked up on lots of ideas and advice that has really been useful and even the criticisms he does not like may have affected him in positive ways, either tempering him or driving him forwards.

The passion on the HBA is always evident, that is why I surmise we keep coming back here.

It is an achievement to build any aircraft and get it up into the air, even more so when you designed it, so he does get a LOT of points for that.

But because flying can be a dangerous game many on here have safety as a core MOTIVATION and that may be where the key items people are worried about come from.

The performance promises were clearly something that came out of incorrect calculations or inputs and that is unfortunate.

But the Lilium and Blackfly dudes have a TON OF FUNDS and are basically proceeding at a somewhat similar pace as Peter is as the years go by.

There may be different outcomes but we all like to follow these projects anyway.

Likely because we probably have all had elements of success and failure in the projects we have done in the past, hence our sometimes passionate inputs...

Many cheers
K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.