10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'm kinda surprised he terminated for that. He apparently wants to burn time, the clock moves just as fast whether the gear is up or down. It's not like he has to get somewhere in a hurry.

Kyle Boatright

I'm kinda surprised he terminated for that. He apparently wants to burn time, the clock moves just as fast whether the gear is up or down. It's not like he has to get somewhere in a hurry.
The airplane's performance is abysmal with the gear up. With it down, his climb rate would be even worse and his heating problems would have been worse too. He made the right decision.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The airplane's performance is abysmal with the gear up. With it down, his climb rate would be even worse and his heating problems would have been worse too. He made the right decision.
I understand your point. OTOH, if the plane can't safely remain airborne with the gear down, one could argue that he made the wrong decision-- every time he decides to fly it again.

Kyle Boatright

I understand your point. OTOH, if the plane can't safely remain airborne with the gear down, one could argue that he made the wrong decision-- every time he decides to fly it again.
With the known problems, he absolutely needs to be fixing the issues, not ignoring them as he churns through a worthless 40 hours. At this point, unless he's making sequential improvements with each flight or after each series of flights, there's not really a legitimate reason to fly it. He's proven that it will fly (badly), and that is all he's ever going to learn with this iteration.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
When he's in his boardroom meeting with his investors, proudly displaying the logbook with the 40 hours (or whatever time milestone his payment is keyed to), a bunch of us from HBA should burst in the room, dressed in red, like the Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition" sketch:

"We're the internet... we're here to help!"

(Or, if all y'all will forgive the additional reference, "We are the Knights who say NO! ")

dog

Electric gear?Lot of current?something something zzzzxtttssssssss!!!
Hydraulic?pump seazed up sqeeeeeeeeeelllllllll
Pulse rate might be back to almost normal now.
Brave guy.
And I think those videos were a great deal of work and time.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
And I think those videos were a great deal of work and time.
He was probably quite efficient at turning them out, given how many he had done.
To save time and effort, reducing the number substatially (ie a couple per month rather than one per flight or two a week) would have done that while preserving the original intent. Clearly that intent is no longer valid, or more likely, the videos were causing more harm by highlighting the problems.

rv6ejguy

The videos certainly sucked up a lot of time. People who don't create videos have no idea how much time it takes. I can spend 10-40 hours creating a 15-30 minute vid, depending on research, charts, shooting, recording audio and editing. Peter used multiple cameras and often overlayed data from one or 2 other sources as well. The editing takes a lot longer than the shooting usually and sifting though footage from several cameras doesn't happen quickly.

Peter's videos were pretty informative and generally interesting I think or not so many people would have been watching them. They would not be so interesting now however, droning along in endless figure eights for a couple hours on end.

He did the right thing to end them for the time being, better spending his time on flying and fixing. Stakeholders are waiting for the end result.

PPLOnly

He was probably quite efficient at turning them out, given how many he had done.
To save time and effort, reducing the number substatially (ie a couple per month rather than one per flight or two a week) would have done that while preserving the original intent. Clearly that intent is no longer valid, or more likely, the videos were causing more harm by highlighting the problems.
Ive tried to edit and narrate videos and it’s way more work than I ever thought possible. If the video is 30 min you’re going to spend hours sorting footage and rewatching and it multiples with every angle. I don’t blame him a single bit from stopping the multi-camera curated videos but I wish he’d live stream his test flights or working on the plane.

He really put together nice build videos and I sort of wonder if he isn’t missing his true calling. He could put together a package of hardware and services for the home built community. Everything from simple camera guides to renting equipment to flying out, placing it and editing the footage and data overlays.

dog

The real dilema is deciding what the official
chant will be,I believe a sound choice of costuming has been suggested and now ,shall
it be Doom doom doom doom,or Fail fail fail fail.
Perhaps an operatic combination,

Rataplan

The videos certainly sucked up a lot of time. People who don't create videos have no idea how much time it takes. I can spend 10-40 hours creating a 15-30 minute vid, depending on research, charts, shooting, recording audio and editing. Peter used multiple cameras and often overlayed data from one or 2 other sources as well. The editing takes a lot longer than the shooting usually and sifting though footage from several cameras doesn't happen quickly.

Peter's videos were pretty informative and generally interesting I think or not so many people would have been watching them. They would not be so interesting now however, droning along in endless figure eights for a couple hours on end.

He did the right thing to end them for the time being, better spending his time on flying and fixing. Stakeholders are waiting for the end result.
Indeed video editing can take a long time but time should never be of influence on safety. It doesn't work like Ow I spend much time on the video so I have to hurry up the building . It just and should only mean the whole project takes a longer time.

PredragVasic

Ive tried to edit and narrate videos and it’s way more work than I ever thought possible. If the video is 30 min you’re going to spend hours sorting footage and rewatching and it multiples with every angle.
If you have a lot of experience editing video, and know how to use your tools efficiently, it shouldn't be that time-consuming. For a multi-camera edit, all he needs to do is roughly sync them up together. In Final Cut Pro, you can select clips from different angles and have them automatically synchronised (software uses the recorded audio track as a common reference) into a single multi-cam clip. You then watch this clip in the multi-angle viewer (which looks like the store security cam monitor) and editing is quite easy -- as the video plays, you click on the camera angle you want to cut over to. Same thing with permanent overlays, such as airspeed/altitude, or flight profile chart; once you line them up, they're in sync automatically. All that's left to do is narrate the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.