10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
I am pretty sure if you called pan pan a controller would just treat you as an emergency or even declare you one. I have had emergencies declared for me over pretty trivial things like loosing an alternator.
Controllers have their own criteria for 'emergency' situations, whether you declare or not. For example, if you advise them you have a problem getting the gear down, they're required to consider it a 'full emergency'*, which will likely see the emergency equipment rolling.

*Controller rules and procedures may vary somewhat by country.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
He also was at pains to point out that whatever production plan out west we think he may be planning, we are wrong.
Therefore the production plan must be completely unthinkable?

rv6ejguy

A good decision to stop wasting time on the videos. This project could have reached a conclusion over a year ago if he'd dispensed with the videos.

A change in oil temps with no change in airspeed, OAT or power setting points to more friction/ heat being made somewhere within the bowels of the monster. A few more degrees IAT won't change the fluid temps much. The oil didn't break down all of a sudden since it was just changed. Off on another wild goose chase...

PPLOnly

So another two emergencies basically, and now he’s going to fly another 29 hours and then do a cross-country flight to a mysterious company who’s going to take over the Raptor, do unthinkable (and I guess untested?) improvements and that’s that. Plus he’s done making videos because they’re so boring and hard to make.

I’m guessing that’s that for the Raptor. In 29 hours and a change in oil weight this thing won’t be ready to fly across the high desert in the middle of summer...

WINGITIS

I think he said transport. (carry)
No he still says he will video the flights across the country for people to see, that was my interpretation....?

What is the most concerning is at 14:00 minutes......in his own words "REDRIVE BELT JUMP" that is fairly scary!

He must realize now that the overall reliability is not there......

I hope he does, there are plenty of trees around VALDOSTA, only luck will have a no trees zone in the right place when/if something randomly fails....

231TC

Didn't he say the belt was rubbing on the cowling? Seems like that might be something he should address.

PPLOnly

Didn't he say the belt was rubbing on the cowling? Seems like that might be something he should address.
I don't believe there is any place for a belt to rub. He had a redrive skip in this video which I am not sure how serious a condition that is.

Pilot Rick

I think he said transport. (carry)
He clearly talks about "transporting" the aircraft out west and making a multi-day trip out of it and documenting it. It starts at 17:30. I think he means flying it but maybe he means on the back of a truck. What would viewers find more interesting him trying to fly the raptor out west or him hauling an oversized load?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
He clearly talks about "transporting" the aircraft out west and making a multi-day trip out of it and documenting it. It starts at 17:30. I think he means flying it but maybe he means on the back of a truck
Almost certainly would need a ground crew, if flown. Cheaper to haul it, I think. I don't see the point of the additional 29 hours.
He should switch to summer oil. Perhaps SAE 40 instead of 10w40.

rbarnes

So someone bought the molds and cad files.
"We have some interesting changes in plan for the plane and I wont be the one revealing that it will be the (new) company doing that"
Sure sounds like he sold the IP to some mysterious west coast "investors".

The whole 21 hours left to fly has to relate to a contract obligation as part of the sale. It's the only reason he would put this arbitrary number to it and keep referring to it as a milestone before he can "move it out west".

So ends the Raptor.