10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PPLOnly

I am looking for the correct emoji response for this.
Some perspective, it was an airship. They’re always in a state of flying and the ground crew got waved off when we got hit with a gust. When we cleared the trees the pilot and I broke out the test plans haha.

Bill-Higdon

So is anxiously waiting for Raptors next video a lot like watching the Daytona NASCAR race waiting for the next “big one”?
No offense meant for/to those of us who remember calling our "Honorable Discharge from the Military a "Ruptured Duck" I think the name for this show should be "The Ruptured Duck".
[/QUOTE]
Ot "Rompue Canard"

Rataplan

The increasingly over-sensitive responses may suggest low confidence being compensated for?
Nice explanation of overfilling it and the oil warning which triggers on a slightly below maximum level
so this might indicate you have an oil leak but also might indicate there is no oil leak but the level dropped because the prop. Well it is an explanation even if you can discus if there is no smarter way to monitor oil leaks .
As far I understand from PM's explanation 1) the oil-level warning light triggers when the level drops a bit below maximum. 2) the volume of oil in the propgovener is not constant but varies with the pitch setting. When the volume decreases the excess of oil returns into the sumptank , raising its oil-level and whne the volume increases the oil is taken from the sumptank so lowering the level. So triggering the oil level warning light when the level is a bit lower than maximum doesn't give usefull information and this light will go off every flight.

No reason to land in opposite direction

flywheel1935

Having watched PM fit the prop with a pipe wrench, drill holes on a pillar drill holding the pieces in his bare hands, and other 'poor' engineering practices, I'm surprised he simply hasn't taken the bulb out of the oil light panel, job done, let's go flying. 🤪 .

I guess it's also possible that the 'new' motor could be totally worn out, and so not fit for purpose ?????

PNWPilot

I’m a multi Audi owner and have never been smart enough to buy a better car. The 3.0 liter TDI has a factory installed oil level sensor. In fact the cars equipped with said engines don’t come with dipsticks (sore subject for some). The min-max range on the factory oil level sensor when being read by the Audi ECU is one liter of oil. From an engineering standpoint if you know the engine oil capacity and you know the lengths and sizes of the lines plus the volume required for the prop at either extreme it is child’s play to calculate a total required oil volume.

PNWPilot

Having watched PM fit the prop with a pipe wrench, drill holes on a pillar drill holding the pieces in his bare hands, and other 'poor' engineering practices, I'm surprised he simply hasn't taken the bulb out of the oil light panel, job done, let's go flying. 🤪 .

I guess it's also possible that the 'new' motor could be totally worn out, and so not fit for purpose ?????
Hey it’s a VW. No need to remove the bulb. Just put electrical tape over it. From my VW Golf days the check engine light was what kept you company on those long night drives.

231TC

No emergency this time. Actually sounded like he was making an effort to sound extra casual when he requested to return to field.

ImperfectSense

Seems short
Actually the third longest flight of this aircraft this year. Longest was 51 minutes, next 28, then two 24s, 23, etc etc. According to FR24, total flight time on the airframe is currently 10 hours 40 minutes over 25 flights, for an average of 25 minutes per flight.

Last edited:

ImperfectSense

Just for academic purposes, does anyone have a list of the days when his flight ended with an urgent request to return and land? First flight, the day the engine blew up, this low oil pressure light... any others I'm missing? I'm not just thinking of the days he formally declared an emergency, but any day he was forced to land _immediately_ by a mechanical or controllability issue.

Here's what I have so far:
1619114592162.png

Last edited:

Pilot Rick

Looks like he didn't land on the runway he took off from. I am wondering/expecting there was some sort of problem. Does anyone know why he didn't make a video of the last flight/emergency?

Rataplan

Just for academic purposes, does anyone have a list of the days when his flight ended with an urgent request to return and land? First flight, the day the engine blew up, this low oil pressure light... any others I'm missing? I'm not just thinking of the days he formally declared an emergency, but any day he was forced to land _immediately_ by a mechanical or controllability issue.

Here's what I have so far:
View attachment 109787
and again when he reaches the highest altitude he starts descending around 900 ft/min till the landing , and again land in opposite direction from which he started. Beside this his climb rate is just above 400 ft/min with some pikes of 20-30 seconds to 750 ft/min but most time his climb rate is between 300 and 400 ft/min.

flywheel1935

I've always been intrigued by the titles of PM's YT channel videos. (He's no Burt Rutan, or George Lucas either)
But now we have " Back on the Runway ", soon to be be followed by the sequels;
"Back on the Runway 2" and "Back on the Runway(Again)" my guess is the Oscar Winner will be "Back on the Runway(Thank F*ck!!!)"
and the final chapter is "Sod this I'm down the Pub"

rv6ejguy

and again when he reaches the highest altitude he starts descending around 900 ft/min till the landing , and again land in opposite direction from which he started. Beside this his climb rate is just above 400 ft/min with some pikes of 20-30 seconds to 750 ft/min but most time his climb rate is between 300 and 400 ft/min.
Yup. Every time he has these high descent rates and lands on the opposite or crossing runway, he must be having a concern and wants to get down ASAP.

Pilot Rick

Yup. Every time he has these high descent rates and lands on the opposite or crossing runway, he must be having a concern and wants to get down ASAP.
And now he knows we all listen to LIVE ATC so he may develop a hesitancy to use the words emergency.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
If you're thinking 'I may need to declare an emergency soon' you should already be making the call, either Mayday or Pan-Pan. Just do it already, it's not that big of a deal.

I've only heard a Pan-Pan call once. I was flying circuits with a student and a company Piper Seminole was taking off on a post-maintenance flight. Yep, one of those higher-than-usual-risk flights.
Anyway, as he rotated and got airborne, the emergency escape window (the pilot's left window) departed the aircraft. An aircraft on the ground nearby made a call that he had seen something come off the departing twin. The tower acknowledged. A few seconds later the pilot made the pan-pan call requesting immediate return to land. He made a quick circuit and landed without further incident.
It was an excellent display of airmanship: He flew the plane first, establishing a stable climb before getting on the radio. Then he made his situation and intentions clear. Finally he resolved the emergency and safely landed.