10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Rataplan

Slightly below "normal" can be ok if above " minimum" on a short flight.
On my airplane "full" will simply blow out the breather on to the belly.
My father had a plane with a 320 d2a which threw all above normal out as soon as you neared 0 G. :-( At least very convenient it had all those drainpoints at its belly to use the fuel to clean all the oil of the belly

Rataplan

IMO, to the extent the video covers the attributes of the plane and concept it is based on, it is a very useful and succinct analysis. I hope it attracts attention for the content in these areas, and that it serves to temper expectations and thereby reduce a lot of pain down the road.
@rv6guy again nailed it with nice explanations

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Vorboten. But it sure has a lot of do with about everything in your life including flying.

Geraldc

My uncle has owned newer M/B's for 30 years or so. I told him about the mysterious dipstick. Five minutes later he had the hood of his car up to check. Bottom line.... he's NEVER checked his oil in 30 years.
Family member got a 1960's vw as a first car.
Never checked the oil because it was a vw and nothing under the hood needs looking at.Started knocking and nowhere to stop so went another half mile until clear of traffic.
When it died this is what was jammed between the top of the crankshaft and the case.
1618886281921.png

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Unless we want to start going down the rathole of political argumentation, it would be better to leave political commentary out of these discussions.
I missed the political argument contained in the term "brochuremanship."

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
I didn’t search for long, but at least from the factory it looks like the only sensor is low oil pressure and not low oil quantity. I’m not aware of any car that has a low oil quantity sensor, but I suppose PM could have installed one.
They are rare, but my 1996 mustang had one, in addition to the low pressure light, and a guage.

Aesquire

Motor Trend show Engine Masters did back to back dyno runs on a V-8 with varying levels of oil. Not relevant for dry sump engines or flat 4/6 s with different sump systems. But probably applies to the Audi legacy engine somewhat. Also windage trays, etc.

Bottom line is a bit low increases peak power. So that 55 Chrysler was self improving!

My motorcycle has a dry sump system, with the oil tank under the seat. Push in cap/dip-stick, held against popping out by your weight on the seat.

Famously, some oil drains back to the crank case after sitting ( various times, idiosyncratic ) so you never check the oil level before starting! You warm it up a bit, then remove seat and check. If you over fill, it will auto-eject excess. If the seat is off, the fountain may hit the ceiling. Quite the clean up job. Damhik

Colin.macd

So is anxiously waiting for Raptors next video a lot like watching the Daytona NASCAR race waiting for the next “big one”?

Bill-Higdon

Seen a
Family member got a 1960's vw as a first car.
Never checked the oil because it was a vw and nothing under the hood needs looking at.Started knocking and nowhere to stop so went another half mile until clear of traffic.
When it died this is what was jammed between the top of the crankshaft and the case.
View attachment 109723
I saw a few like that in my days of VW repair

Bill-Higdon

So is anxiously waiting for Raptors next video a lot like watching the Daytona NASCAR race waiting for the next “big one”?
[/QUOTE]
No offense meant for/to those of us who remember calling our "Honorable Discharge from the Military a "Ruptured Duck" I think the name for this show should be "The Ruptured Duck".

PPLOnly

He’s not flown since his “no big deal just a touch low on oil” flight and not made a new video. Each time he goes off the radar like this I wonder if that’s it for the program.

Pilot Rick

He has not been 100% radio silence. He posted these 2 comments recently on his youtube channel. I am eagerly awaiting his next video but I do find it odd it has taken so long. Usually he posts video the following day of a flight.

Just so you guys all don't wet your pants... I had a low oil light that was because I had slightly less oil in the sump than what is required. I followed my procedure to reduce throttle, flatten the prop and then restore throttle. The low oil light went off and everything else was normal. Tower asked me to continue the left base approach to 17 so I went ahead and did so. You guys never learn about speculating. It just amazes me.

@TarDevil50 what you fail to understand, probably because you don't know so the details of this build, is that the low oil light I have configured comes on from a float switch in the sump that triggers when the oil goes slightly below the max level. Because the governor for the prop uses this same oil system I over fill the sump slightly beyond the max level on the dip stick. If the light comes on it's an early warning of a possible leak. If it goes off the oil level has been restored. Given that the previous flight resulted in an oil leak and I had since established a protocol for that scenario I simply executed it. After doing so the light went off so there was no problem. If I add a little more oil to the sump that should prevent the situation from occurring again. To suggest that I did not do a thorough preflight just shows you have no idea what you're talking about. We're you there watching me?

PPLOnly

The increasingly over-sensitive responses may suggest low confidence being compensated for?
I’d say so. He’s not even sure how much oil he should be running this late in his testing process. And if it was no big deal, why hasn’t he flown again? Really, why didn’t he fly that same day even? He’s got to make it through his testing regimen and if he has suitable weather troubleshoot the issue, splash some gas and take back off again if it’s no big deal.

Back in my test engineer days we had an unexpected takeoff once after some funky wind hit us on a taxi test and decided to go do 5 pages of test plans once we were airborne. Why waste the opportunity if it’s presented.