10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianS

If the low oil light comes on and there's no other issue, the oil pump is sucking air, ie the sump level is below the oil pump pickup.
That's not just a little bit low - that's several litres down at least.

Rataplan

Reliability for sure but I watched a Duke with a Rocket conversion taxi out with all the tires low pressure. The plane sits for a couple of months and then is called upon. The more organized have a mechanic come out and check it over. Check oil, hydraulics, emergency O2, and tires. Owner/pilots rarely look at anything but fuel.
Owner or non owner, skipping you daily inspection and preflight check is a question of bad mentality

Rataplan

Looks to me like there is missing data in that track, hence the appearence of infinitely sharp turns.

Perhaps a power system reset, if its a transponder?

Or if its radar based tracking then maybe VERY LOW altitude.....????

(UPDATE)

Oh I see from the other example its not an altitude issue, and its an ADS-B transponder, so Ill go with a power system reset whilst in flight(TWICE) perhaps to reset the low oil light issue, that is being ever hopeful on his part if that is what he did!?

The first dropout of data appears to be approximately a minute in duration, perhaps where the "I may declare an emergency here in the next 30 seconds" comes from?
You can combine the tracks of both websites and have a complete track from starting to taxi to ending taxi after flight. But noticeable is the constant rate of decent of around -1000 ft/min till low level and landing in opposite direction of his start.

Combine both flight tracks, the radio communication and the reaction of PM afterwards and I only can conclude we deal with a fool.

PPLOnly

I’m guessing we’re really close to PM declaring a success for the airframe and ceasing test flights while he tries to fit another “revolutionary” Powerplant, and we never hear of Raptor again. He’s already convinced himself this engine isn’t his long term solution so soon he’ll blame bad PR and clam up.

Rataplan

Anyway, I don't see any logic in the whole process from start to what is promised . There is nothing revolutionair on the Raptor regarding its design. It's kind of a standard canard . So who can explain why the raptor should be faster than for example a Velocity? I mean lets morph a Velocity into a Raptor and during the morphing process lets see what causes the Raptor gains

Ok do it in your head , imagine a Velocity on one side and a Raptor on the other side, start the morphing in your head and during this ask you self what is the difference and its influence .

About the engine, taking a junkyard engine with unknown history and use it for what it is , says it all.

PPLOnly

I think it was an oil level warning rather than pressure.
I didn’t search for long, but at least from the factory it looks like the only sensor is low oil pressure and not low oil quantity. I’m not aware of any car that has a low oil quantity sensor, but I suppose PM could have installed one.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
GM has been installing low oil level sensors for many years now. My Yukon and my Corvette both have one. Frankly, as infrequently as people actually check a dipstick these days, I'd be surprised if ANY modern car does not have a low level warning feature.

Malish

I think it was an oil level warning rather than pressure.
Ross is right - this was "low oil level" warning light. That happened few times before. This time Peter set prop to "flat pitch", oil level went up and light came off. On automotive engines difference from "full" and "low" oil level usually about quart of oil or so.
And some one said that on sound track, he noticed hi engine rpm(TO power) - in flight engine will "speed up" if set to "low pitch".
This days "low oil level" censors installed on many automotive engines and Audi probably too. But in this case, prop using engine oil to change the pitch of blades and this may lower oil level to much.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I can't believe the negative comments here sometimes.
Agree. This thread has degenerated, for the most part, to nothing more taking cheap shots at Raptor and PM.

There are massive problems with the project, and I have been critical of it, but way to many posts just are not appropriate for HBA.

BJC

canardlover

It is possible he will look for what appears to be (or can be made to appear to be) a different way to move forward. That serves his financial interests (to sell the project or get another injection of cash) and also make it easier to accept (than throwing in the towel).
Can the Raptor airframe accept an IO-540 or TIO-540 (W&B, cooling, etc)? That doesn't address some other giant issues (airframe weight, whatever aerodynamic challenges await to be discovered), but it lets him lay all the present woes on the engine ('to be fixed later' --not gonna happen) and make a new set of Powerpoint slides for a new set of optimistic investors and partners. I include him in that group: I believe he remains a believer in his original concept..
Yes it can and was recommended from the onset of program for initial testing. Doing so would also reduce aircraft weight approximately 700 pounds give or take. It would also generate valuable data, having a known horsepower output, to compare with the Velocity XL or my Orion design,the two closest comparable aircraft. That would go a long way in determining its viability. And additionally significantly mitigate risk. Just my $.02. Tried to steer program in the right direction,but alas !!!🤪🤪🤪

Turd Ferguson

GM has been installing low oil level sensors for many years now. My Yukon and my Corvette both have one. Frankly, as infrequently as people actually check a dipstick these days, I'd be surprised if ANY modern car does not have a low level warning feature.
Those uppity cars like a Mercedes don't have a dipstick. They send you an email when they are low on oil.

PPLOnly

My VW (Basically an Audi) V6 Touareg has a low oil level sensor and light. Indeed, it has no dipstick, just sensors.
Different vintage vehicle I can’t find any documentation for the same capability on the older diesels.

Malish

I think he installed the oil level float as an early warning. Who else does this? I can't believe the negative comments here sometimes.
In real live we don't check oil level in our cars every day(some times even for few month) - that's why automotive engines have "low oil" censors. In aviation we check oil level before EVERY flight and always add oil level to "full".

rv6ejguy

I didn’t search for long, but at least from the factory it looks like the only sensor is low oil pressure and not low oil quantity. I’m not aware of any car that has a low oil quantity sensor, but I suppose PM could have installed one.
BMW has had these for over 20 years and many other brands have followed in the last decade. Peter discussed this in previous vids.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
That Audi engine has an oil level sensor, or at least it did. Audi transitioned from floats to oil level transducers a while back and dumped the dip stick. Grumble. You can buy a dipstick and keep it in the trunk but if you leave it in after taking a level it hits the hood (bonnet)...

I forget which vintage the Raptor engine is...?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
In real live we don't check oil level in our cars every day(some times even for few month) - that's why automotive engines have "low oil" censors. In aviation we check oil level before EVERY flight and always add oil level to "full".
Right. But I don't think his oil sensor is a low level sensor. I thought it was a medium level sensor to indicate a leak.
He likely checked each preflight as always and silly to guess otherwise.

Rataplan

Agree. This thread has degenerated, for the most part, to nothing more taking cheap shots at Raptor and PM.

There are massive problems with the project, and I have been critical of it, but way to many posts just are not appropriate for HBA.

BJC
Lot of self induced problems in this project what just developed into a stubborn spoiled child what gets to much attention.

It just takes the focus of the many serious forum posts on HBA. To prevent members getting sucked into an addiction to this soap it should be frozen for one or two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.