10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rataplan

The best care in aviation will not extract longevity from a flawed design.
I wrote it in a cynical mood.
But what happened yesterday? :

Last edited:

PPLOnly

Well I thought you confused with his taxi ride but you are right:

If you can’t fly a traffic pattern you’re having a real-deal emergency no matter what you want people to think. His voice sounds like he’s significantly stressed too. He’d rather legitimately risk his life than do any kind of paper failure analysis. This is wild.

ImperfectSense

Transcript from LiveATC:
PM: Valdosta Tower, Raptor 2TD, uh, I'd like to descend to the field.
Tower: ... make right base for runway 35.
PM: Uhhh, can I make left traffic for runway 17? Ummm, I'm not declaring an emergency yet, but it's possible I may declare an emergency here in the next 30 seconds.
Tower: Raptor 2TD... Raptor 2TD, enter a left base for runway 3-... 17.
PM: I'm just monitoring the situation here, I think I'll be able to make that, uh, ehm, seems like under control here but I am gonna come back around and make that right base for 35.
<static transmission, unlikely it was Tower because they are clear elsewhere in the recording, but who knows>
PM: 2TD is turning left base for 17.
Tower: Raptor 2TD runway 17, cleared to land.
PM: 17 cleared to land, 2TD.

WINGITIS

I wrote it in a cynical mood.
But what happened yesterday? :

Looks to me like there is missing data in that track, hence the appearence of infinitely sharp turns.

Perhaps a power system reset, if its a transponder?

Or if its radar based tracking then maybe VERY LOW altitude.....????

(UPDATE)

Oh I see from the other example its not an altitude issue, and its an ADS-B transponder, so Ill go with a power system reset whilst in flight(TWICE) perhaps to reset the low oil light issue, that is being ever hopeful on his part if that is what he did!?

The first dropout of data appears to be approximately a minute in duration, perhaps where the "I may declare an emergency here in the next 30 seconds" comes from?

Last edited:

flywheel1935

slightly less oil in the sump than what is required.

slightly less use of little grey cells than required 🤪

(On my very first flying lesson, I was taught how to check the fuel for water and the engine oil level)

In view of the recent communication from PM, I think he's painted himself into a corner on the Raptor and "missing" routine things, did we ever see a full oil change and possible search for contamination of the old oil. Even the origins of engine No 2 are suspect, a heavy front ender, hence the cracked pulley. Also notice that the more experienced commentators on the YT channel are 'missing', after a while they have just given up offering dismissed advice.

Last edited:

Rataplan

Looks to me like there is missing data in that track, hence the appearence of infinitely sharp turns.

Perhaps a power system reset, if its a transponder?

Or if its radar based tracking then maybe VERY LOW altitude.....????

(UPDATE)

Oh I see from the other example its not an altitude issue, and its an ADS-B transponder, so Ill go with a power system reset whilst in flight(TWICE) perhaps to reset the low oil light issue, that is being ever hopeful on his part if that is what he did!?

The first dropout of data appears to be approximately a minute in duration, perhaps where the "I may declare an emergency here in the next 30 seconds" comes from?
flightradar24 has a complete track includes taxiing

WINGITIS

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don't understand this, taking off without knowing the oil level. Do people do this ? Was the oil level low before takeoff or was there a large oil leak in flight ?

Rataplan

I don't understand this, taking off without knowing the oil level. Do people do this ? Was the oil level low before takeoff or was there a large oil leak in flight ?
Be glad you don't understand PM. I don't understand they let him endanger the airspace of VLD

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Just wondering: Has PM mentioned anything about what the airport manager thinks of his project? Some types of flight activity can make the paying tenants nervous and can prompt transient traffic (that buys a lot of fuel) to go elsewhere.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Just wondering: Has PM mentioned anything about what the airport manager thinks of his project? Some types of flight activity can make the paying tenants nervous and can prompt transient traffic (that buys a lot of fuel) to go elsewhere.
The thing flies a few minutes, maybe an hour or two a week. I don't see a threat to transient traffic.

OTOH, certain airports have barred test flying because of construction density near the airport. KVLD probably isn't a candidate for banning Peter's efforts based on those criteria.

TFF

Reliability for sure but I watched a Duke with a Rocket conversion taxi out with all the tires low pressure. The plane sits for a couple of months and then is called upon. The more organized have a mechanic come out and check it over. Check oil, hydraulics, emergency O2, and tires. Owner/pilots rarely look at anything but fuel.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Was the oil level low before takeoff or was there a large oil leak in flight ?
I enjoy all the speculation and sharp-tongued comments as much as the next guy, but this post above from Pops is the CORE ISSUE of this incident, everything else aside. Was this an inflight oil loss, or was this a takeoff with insufficient oil from the start?

Everything else is of less importance (from a safety perspective).

PM apparently used the term "slightly less oil in the sump than required".

Required to keep from seizing the engine? Required to achieve a "full" indication on the dipstick? Required to fly out one full tank of gas?