10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

231TC

Flew again today. Landed fine, but had a "near emergency" about an hour ago. Quote from Peter was something like, "I'm not declaring an emergency yet, but it's possible I may declare an emergency in the next 30 seconds."

If you feel the need to make such an announcement, just go ahead and declare it now. Starts just about a minute into this: https://archive.liveatc.net/kvld/KVLD-Apr-16-2021-1400Z.mp3

flywheel1935

I'm betting that TV tore up the torsional damper. But, we'll see soon enough.
If he has ,will we get to see it ??? We never got to see inside the first engine that failed. If ?????? these so called West Coast Investors watch YT, then by now they should be putting their money in Chocolate Teapots and Lead Balloons, more chance of them working.

Wanttaja

....But, we'll see soon enough.
Maybe, maybe not. At some point, he'll probably have to pull up stakes and give up. I don't expect a highly-detailed report if that happens. Maybe a screed against "haters," but if he has to close it down, I don't think we'll learn anything on the technical issues.

Ron Wanttaja

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
It is possible he will look for what appears to be (or can be made to appear to be) a different way to move forward. That serves his financial interests (to sell the project or get another injection of cash) and also make it easier to accept (than throwing in the towel).
Can the Raptor airframe accept an IO-540 or TIO-540 (W&B, cooling, etc)? That doesn't address some other giant issues (airframe weight, whatever aerodynamic challenges await to be discovered), but it lets him lay all the present woes on the engine ('to be fixed later' --not gonna happen) and make a new set of Powerpoint slides for a new set of optimistic investors and partners. I include him in that group: I believe he remains a believer in his original concept..

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

As a proof of concept, this prototype is an utter failure. Far from being a world changing design, It can't even compete against an old design like a P210 which smokes Raptor in every performance measure, as does an RV-10, Cirrus etc..

Folks investing in Raptor as it sits now (flying), deserve to lose their money if they know this little about aircraft or what it takes to develop a safe and reliable one for production.

I think the technical issues/ failures are well known at this point and most are not being addressed by PM even if he accepts them.

Wanttaja

At some point in this ordeal I’d be scared to get in it.
He’s got to be thinking, “This thing hates me”.
Which, of course, reminds me of my favorite U-2 video...showing how difficult the airplane is to land, accompanied by a charming song called "She F***ing Hates Me"....

Audio is Not Safe for Work.

Ron Wanttaja

ImperfectSense

Flew again today. Landed fine, but had a "near emergency" about an hour ago. Quote from Peter was something like, "I'm not declaring an emergency yet, but it's possible I may declare an emergency in the next 30 seconds."

If you feel the need to make such an announcement, just go ahead and declare it now. Starts just about a minute into this: https://archive.liveatc.net/kvld/KVLD-Apr-16-2021-1400Z.mp3
Geebus, just listened to it. He's asking for opposite pattern/runway direction to what tower wants, and says "I think I'll be able to make that," but refusing to declare it an emergency. I hope tower just went ahead and declared for him (they can do it just by putting the EM on the radar icon).

Did anyone else notice that the engine noise in the background of his transmissions sounded a lot like full throttle, during his descent to land? I mean it's faint and in the background of a radio transmission, but if I closed my eyes it sounded just like when he's doing a full power engine run on the ground.

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
As a proof of concept, this prototype is an utter failure. Far from being a world changing design, It can't even compete against an old design like a P210 which smokes Raptor in every performance measure, as does an RV-10, Cirrus etc..

Folks investing in Raptor as it sits now (flying), deserve to lose their money if they know this little about aircraft or what it takes to develop a safe and reliable one for production.

I think the technical issues/ failures are well known at this point and most are not being addressed by PM even if he accepts them.
As a P210 flyer I totally agree. 6 seats, range and speed. Particularly when you look at some of the aftermarket kits that are fitted to the Cessna. This includes up to 150 gallons of fuel, short field landing kits, full de-ice, TN550 engine, intercoolers, electronic injection etc etc.

In my own case I have 120 gallons of fuel for around eight hours endurance and a short field kit which reduces stall speed to around 54 knots. At altitude the plane will cruise at a solid 200 KTAS so the ratio between stall and cruise is quite breathtaking. Impossible with the Raptor even if it did have a good engine.

Rataplan

It is just a cheap marketing concept sold by creating illusions in the head of people who have not to much knowledge

Rataplan

I think it was the accessory drive belt and pulley, not on the redrive. He said it was damaged and didn't notice it on installation.

However, the propulsion system hasn't been reliable at all, with the drive being stripped down and modified at least a dozen times in less than 50 hours of run time. I don't think anyone will be flying with this PSRU solution to Hawaii as PM envisioned...
Why not? PM takes it all very professional. He dismantled the engine ,cleaned all well checked the cranckshaft and replaced the bearings etc etc.

Rataplan

Well I thought you confused with his taxi ride but you are right:

Last edited: