Quantcast

10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

I bet if you ask if they would put diesel in a plane, they will say no. It’s not that fuel trucks aren’t driving around, they will wise up, if not already, very fast once the first plane crashes, even if it’s not at your place. You can’t rely on it long term. You can’t fly cross country and expect it. the Raptor is useless if it can’t fly somewhere and refuel. That accomplished nothing on the diesel front. Yes your buddy at the co op may do something for you, but he is not going to for me.

Third world countries dump anything that they can make burn in. Maybe there.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
My 42 year old diesel tractor has a two stage fuel filter. We had "go no go" filters on the hand pumps for fueling Jet A from barrels in remote Alaska for Bell JetRanger helicopters.
I would have a diesel tank on a truck with filters. Then fill up with JetA when away. Keep a minimum percentage of diesel for lubrication.
The "go no go" stops flowing when clogged with water or crud. GO-No-Go® Absorptive Cartridges On Becker & Associates, Inc.

Last edited:

Geraldc

pictsidhe

It isn't an insoluble problem. But it is a problem that needs solving.

Erik Snyman

And here I thought Arctic expeditions are dog fueled....Duh...

AdrianS

Note that the article quoted says "JET A1 fuel with a few additives"

My bold - they don't say what the additives were, but it wasn't straight jet fuel.

Always read the fine print.

rbarnes

You folks are arguing about whether to use the white or grey styrafoam cups to bail out the Titanic. Pretty sure whether or not the Audi can burn Jet A is #837 on the histogram of important issues here...
Always use gray cups.... duh

Volzalum

When the Audi engine was on the test stand, it was run on both diesel and Jet-A with additives (note much, but a tank or two of each). The information shown in the video(s) related to it articulated that the Motec showed more HP on the diesel that the Jet-A, and that diesel was cheaper than Jet-A and additives.

flywheel1935

Extra water tanks painted black, "to radiate more heat", ??????
Is that what the radiator is meant to do ?????? 🙄. At least the back of the Avionics will keep nice and warm, just what you need .

TFF

Technically a water tank is a radiator, not a heat exchanger. Design goal accomplished. If we really want to exchange heat instead of warming a loft apartment, goal not accomplished.

rbarnes

At least he does finally admit in the video that stacking the intercooler on top of the radiator is just dumping intercooler waste heat into the radiator.