1/3 scaled affordaplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mr.dani

Hi all ;
Two months before, I decided to build something big that I’ve never ever build before so I decided to find a good and easy to build aircraft and I bought the plans of the AFFORDAPLANE :
Welcome To Affordaplane Affordable Ultralight Aircraft
And began the work on SOLID WORKS
In fact it was a good way for a better understanding of this plane . I decided to build a 1/3 scaled RC Affordaplane .
This is my first scaling down project and I don’t want to waste money by doing stupid mistakes so; Is there any tips that I should follow ?
I decided to use square carbon fiber tubes for the fuselage ; and this is my first time to deal with carbon fiber square tubes that should be cut and drilled / I used foam for my previous projects/ . So can I use the same way of bolts and rivets to join carbon fiber parts as with aluminum or there is a better way to do that ?
I can send the solid works file to any body for free . just send me a PMdfsd.jpg

Aerowerx

Carbon fiber and aluminum together is not a good idea. You can get rapid corrosion of the aluminum. But for a scale RC plane with a limited life time it may be OK.

Or you could use epoxy for the joints.

Keep in mind that very few Affordaplanes, from what I have read, meet the part 103 weight restriction even if built to plans. Most are too heavy.

There are others on here that know more than I. It has been discussed here before. Use the advanced search function to find the threads.

skier

Keep in mind that very few Affordaplanes, from what I have read, meet the part 103 weight restriction even if built to plans. Most are too heavy.
I'm not sure I've ever heard of any being completed, never mind meeting Part 103.

EDIT: looks like there may be 1 or 2 flying?

litespeed

I would not worry about using carbon. Weight is not going to be a enemy on a scale model- you only have a small payload needed not a heavy pilot.

Easiest would be just use some small square tubing from a hardware store/ aluminium supplier. 10mm or maybe a bit bigger. Easy to make some gussets and use a riveter. Very simple, cheap and quick.

Are you going to use electric or a gas engine?

Carbon requires something backing it inside the tube to stop crushing- like wood dowel. The cheap alloy will be more than strong enough and a small fraction of the cost.

Have you worked out any weights expected for the airframe/wing?

Powerloading?

Should make a nice little project

Phil

mr.dani

I would not worry about using carbon. Weight is not going to be a enemy on a scale model- you only have a small payload needed not a heavy pilot.

Easiest would be just use some small square tubing from a hardware store/ aluminium supplier. 10mm or maybe a bit bigger. Easy to make some gussets and use a riveter. Very simple, cheap and quick.

Are you going to use electric or a gas engine?

Carbon requires something backing it inside the tube to stop crushing- like wood dowel. The cheap alloy will be more than strong enough and a small fraction of the cost.

Have you worked out any weights expected for the airframe/wing?

Powerloading?

Should make a nice little project

Phil
Thanks Phil , I'm gona use a gas engine

Johngelesko

Hi all ;
Two months before, I decided to build something big that I’ve never ever build before so I decided to find a good and easy to build aircraft and I bought the plans of the AFFORDAPLANE :
Welcome To Affordaplane Affordable Ultralight Aircraft
And began the work on SOLID WORKS
In fact it was a good way for a better understanding of this plane . I decided to build a 1/3 scaled RC Affordaplane .
This is my first scaling down project and I don’t want to waste money by doing stupid mistakes so; Is there any tips that I should follow ?
I decided to use square carbon fiber tubes for the fuselage ; and this is my first time to deal with carbon fiber square tubes that should be cut and drilled / I used foam for my previous projects/ . So can I use the same way of bolts and rivets to join carbon fiber parts as with aluminum or there is a better way to do that ?
I can send the solid works file to any body for free . just send me a PMView attachment 41408

foolonthehill

Drilling and riviting or bolting through carbon, or fiberglass, for that matter, in a structural applicaton is not a good idea, unless you drill and bond a bushing of some type in the hole first. If you are going to bond whatever you are also riviting or bolting, that's better, but it's better still to not drill and just rely on the adhesive, or the adhesive and the geometry of the pieces you're bonding together. You could wrap one ply of fiberglass over any areas you want to bond aluminum to as a buffer to the carbon. That would take care of that problem, and I'd surely recommend using an acrylic adhesive over an epoxy adhesive. Plexus 310 or Parsons 7310, or go to Wal Mart and look in the paint section at those little adhesive tubes for the ingredient, Matacrylate.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please note this thread is four years old and the original poster hasn't been seen here since then.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well, there sure a lot of flying AffordAPlane videos on U-tube
Could be. As soon as YouTube requires them to be 103-compliantbefore posting, that will be a relevant fact.