1/3 B-29

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

vhhjr

Supporting Member
First there was the Bally 1/3 B-17, now some unknown is coming along nicely with a 1/3 B-29. Does anyone have more on this amazing project? What's next, a 1/3 B-36?

Vince Homer

Attachments

• 33% B-29 RFA.pdf
    694.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
As epic as it is, it also cries out loud : WHY?

Some people have far too much time on their hands or can't stand beer.

As to your last question: B-52.

- "Honey, I am going to build a half-scale B-52 in the garage."
- "Sure, hon, you just do that."

Next the papers report that at Sonex somebody nicked the 8 turbines...

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
As to your last question: B-52.

- "Honey, I am going to build a half-scale B-52 in the garage."
- "Sure, hon, you just do that."
As much as I like and appreciate the BUFF, if I run into a rich eccentric who seems intent on an endeavor like this I would try my best to talk him into building a 1/2 scale Vulcan instead. That would be something to see.

Last edited:

vhhjr

Supporting Member
Visions of a 1/2 scale B-25 keep drifting through my head. Having already build a cockpit mockup, sat in it and made motor noises, well, if weren't for the lack of funds for two Verner radials, the time to buiild it and the skill to fly it, what's the hold up?

Vince Homer

Attachments

• IMG_5115.JPG
    IMG_5115.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 13

Aerowerx

I will definitely go to see that!

I got to see the Vulcan fly at the Abbottsford Airshow in the early 1980's, and it was awesome!
Got to climb in one at RAF Fairford airshow, about the same time period (my brother in the USAF was stationed there at the time). It was the one they had converted to a tanker for the flight to the Falklands.

As for a scale B-36, have you ever seen one close up? I think quarter scale would be more reasonable.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
As much as I like and appreciate the BUFF, if I run into a rich eccentric who seems intent on an endeavor like this I would try my best to talk him into building a 1/2 scale Vulcan instead. That would be something to see.

The UK-government has already been talked into that one but on scale 1/3: Avro 707.

Now I am not into noise but heard the Vulcan howl a few times.. I can get it.

The Vulcan, designed in 1946 by the same chap who did the Lancaster 11 years previous. Me thinks Edwin Starr might just have been proven a tiny bit wrong.

Chilton

The British already built several reduced scale manned aircraft during WWII. Thw Saro Shrimp can be seen on you tube as well as another four engined bomber. I can't seem to find the video for the bomber. Both aircraft used Pobjoy Niagra radial engines. TBO of 350 hours.

Vince Homer

The Short S31 was a half size development prototype for the S29 Stirling. I do occasionally wonder if what remains of the original company still have the drawings for that one, and could be persuaded to share.....

Appowner

The RC world has been doing 1/4. 1/3 and even 1/2 scale for a number of years. The technology is there. It's just a matter of proper application and money.

Biggest B-17 I've seen is 1/6 scale and has a fully detailed interior.

In the UK a group built an RC B-52 with a wing around 22 feet long. It had eight model sized jet turbines. Unfortunately it was eventually lost due to pilot error. Here's it's last flight:

David Moxley

The RC world has been doing 1/4. 1/3 and even 1/2 scale for a number of years. The technology is there. It's just a matter of proper application and money.

Biggest B-17 I've seen is 1/6 scale and has a fully detailed interior.

In the UK a group built an RC B-52 with a wing around 22 feet long. It had eight model sized jet turbines. Unfortunately it was eventually lost due to pilot error. Here's it's last flight:

Watch the video, did see where the pilot did anything wrong? Looks to me like the radio signal, or control’s may have malfunctioned ? I Have flown RC for over 50 years myself , and have had the same thing happened a few times . Just my 2 cents.

WBNH

Hughes Hercules (Spruce Goose) with eight chainsaw engines... o_O

Always loved those lines. Though I think if I made it...it would be single seat (a one-holer), two electric, and six nearly-feathered dummy props windmilling. (Or just a twin, omitting the other six nacelles for drag reduction...but lacking the scale factor.)

Dan Thomas

I will definitely go to see that!

I got to see the Vulcan fly at the Abbottsford Airshow in the early 1980's, and it was awesome!
I first saw it at Abbotsford in 1967. Those were the days when you could walk right up to the airplanes. The announcer claimed that they could stand 2000 people in the shade under its wings. Big, it was. And LOUD. The bomb bay could accommodate a mobile home of the day. Even if the bombs missed the enemy, the noise and size and shape might scare them to death anyway.